• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frog spawn! (1 Viewer)

Judo said:
Hi Pam & All,
Great photos pie & Pam. Pam, those fish look amazing, and look as if they're about to make that 'Spawn disappear! uh-oh!!
I bet your garden's free of slugs Rose, with all those frogs hopping about to gobble 'em up!!
I wish I had room for a pond ~sigh~ but no can do!
All the Best to All,
'Scuse me while I climb on my soap box Judo :brains:
Don't believe all those people who tell you frogs eat slugs. Frogs eat lots of flies and spiders, when it's wet they eat worms ( it's quite gruesome watching a frog shoving a worm into it's mouth with it's front feet while the worm is frantically trying to wriggle out!) and sometimes they eat woodlice. Toads are quite partial to flying ants too. But slugs they very rarely eat! :storm:

Ooops, sorry Rose, I have always believed that tale. Never having Frogs in my own garden (only a few escapees from next doors pond sometimes) I had no first hand knowledge! Pity eh? Hmmm......Mind you, can't say I blame 'em.....YUK!

Sorry you lost your fish Andy. Maybe the pH dropped? We brought in our 2 goldfish and 2 koi last fall and they are in the basement until spring. Magically there are now 4 goldfish and a stunningly beautiful butterfly koi in addition to one more koi.

Hmmmmm. *~*~*Wonder*~*~* how ever that could have happened? o:)

Any way ~~~~> Congratulations to all the frogs and toads and their offspring to be! There is 4 inches of ice over our wildlife pond still so no one is in the romantic mood. Probably next month we'll get our salamandars, toads, and a few species of frogs doing their thing. I love the toads and Spring Peeper (Tree frog) chorus in the early morning!

L.

bump!

Hi Pam & All,

Hooray! Frog spawn in my pond! better late than never!lol

Attachments

• DSC_0066.JPG
    DSC_0066.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 14
pie said:
bump!

Hi Pam & All,

Hooray! Frog spawn in my pond! better late than never!lol
Nice one Pie :D
I've now got a great many tiny tadpoles swimming around, the fish are eating some but they won't be able to get them all and anyway I've got some in a bucket just in case! :-O
Still no sign of the toads spawning, there are a couple of enthusiastic males in the pond and I hear them calling from the borders sometimes but no pairs yet. That's all despite my foray up the garden every night with the torch .... Well, I don't want to miss anything ... (o)<

I was showing my youngest granddaughter my fish yesterday when lo and behold I spotted my first ever frog-spawn in the pond. I don't give much for the chances of the tadpoles growing to maturity; I have some big fish in there. Oh well! more frogs or free fish food; I can't lose either way.

All the best.
Baz.

Oh dear! Just when I thought Frog spawn was a given thing, now I have to investigate what Toad spawn looks like Rose! lol!
Why isn't nature simple? ;)

Hey Baz, maybe someone local would accomodate your f/s.
I know when I was starting off my pond, it was difficult to get hold of some because of the restrictions.
I managed to get tadpoles from a member of my local nature reserve. A jarful also introduced bacteria needed for a new pond.

pie said:
Oh dear! Just when I thought Frog spawn was a given thing, now I have to investigate what Toad spawn looks like Rose! lol!
Why isn't nature simple? ;)

Hi Pie

toad spawn comes in long single strands frog spawn comes in big clumps.

andy

Great to see plenty of frog spawn appearing in your ponds! :t:

I am going to put some frog spawn in a breeding net and perhaps some in a bucket and see if we can have a few froglets eventually in the pond, that will upset my fish ;)

BazR said:
I was showing my youngest granddaughter my fish yesterday when lo and behold I spotted my first ever frog-spawn in the pond. I don't give much for the chances of the tadpoles growing to maturity; I have some big fish in there. Oh well! more frogs or free fish food; I can't lose either way.

All the best.
Baz.
Baz! what do you call big fish?

Attachments

• DSCN3189-10024.JPG
    DSCN3189-10024.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 23
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back