• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to find early Grobblers (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
I think I read somewhere last year that the first male grasshopper warblers to arrive in these islands are prone to singing from more exposed perches than is their wont later in the season, so it might be easier to get to see one at his time of year. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, what time in March or April should I begin trying, and what time of morning or evening might be best? I know a few local grobbler sites where I've heard them while out cycling, but I've never seen one except on passage on an island. Any advice gratefully accepted.

In my experience, early morning and evening are always best for seeing and hearing Grasshopper Warblers. I would say that they're easiest to see early morning, although that means getting up early! I don't know about early arrivers being more showy but I've often found that late singing birds (e.g. in July, early August) tend to perch more prominently than birds singing earlier. I've no idea why though.

Sancho said:
I think I read somewhere last year that the first male grasshopper warblers to arrive in these islands are prone to singing from more exposed perches than is their wont later in the season, so it might be easier to get to see one at his time of year. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, what time in March or April should I begin trying, and what time of morning or evening might be best? I know a few local grobbler sites where I've heard them while out cycling, but I've never seen one except on passage on an island. Any advice gratefully accepted.

Grasshopper Warbler is a fairly early migrant to UK. I would put the second half of April as a good compromise between numbers arriving and vegetation thickening. You're at a distinct disdvantage this year inasmuch as the veg. will be very thick by the time the birds arrive. Newly-arrived birds sing pretty much continually. Sitting still near a song post will usually produce a view sooner or later. Birds often sidle up out of the new growth (of nettles or similar) along a woody twig still standing from last year, have a quick peep (while still singing) and shuffle down again.

Steve Lister said:
Presumably 'Grobblers' is the Irish equivalent of the British 'Groppers'? Never heard it before.
Steve
Not sure if some mates and I are the only ones to use it, I assumed it was in general use. We've extended it to "Wooblers" (Wood Warblers) and "Wobblers" (Willow Warblers) too, just to confuse the issue and cause the Tribal Elders to stroke their beards and mutter "Harumph, Harumph!" ;) . Meanwhile, I'll let all know if my "see a Grasshopper Warbler in song" project produces results this spring (I felt that seeing one on passage on an island was kind of cheating!). Now that I think of it, "Gropper" sounds more definitive and clipped, "Grobbler" sounds like a noun for someone who babbles and drools in the back of a psychiatric hospital's ambulance......

Sancho said:
Not sure if some mates and I are the only ones to use it, I assumed it was in general use. We've extended it to "Wooblers" (Wood Warblers) and "Wobblers" (Willow Warblers) too, just to confuse the issue and cause the Tribal Elders to stroke their beards and mutter "Harumph, Harumph!" ;) . Meanwhile, I'll let all know if my "see a Grasshopper Warbler in song" project produces results this spring (I felt that seeing one on passage on an island was kind of cheating!). Now that I think of it, "Gropper" sounds more definitive and clipped, "Grobbler" sounds like a noun for someone who babbles and drools in the back of a psychiatric hospital's ambulance......

Why are Willow Warblers "Wobblers" and not "Wibblers"?

Touty said:
Why are Willow Warblers "Wobblers" and not "Wibblers"?
Very good point, Touty. I shall call an Emergency General Meeting forthwith and we'll thrash this bloody thing out once and for all. It'll make the great Ivory-Billed Woodpecker War that's going on on another thread look like a girl guide's picnic. Harumph! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back