• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whooper Swan at Hornsea Mere? (1 Viewer)

Pete Mella

Getting there...
I saw a Whooper Swan at close range at Hornsea Mere today, and got quite excited until I realised it was honking loudly at a door, and waiting to get fed by the wardens there. I'm guessing it's "untickable"!

Does anyone know this swan's story? Is it a well-known resident there, or one that arrived this year and got a bit too used to the ready supply of duck food?

Was it ringed? Many years ago I saw an overly tame Whooper there which had a metal ring on. I am guessing this is a different bird but you never know.

Stephen.

It wasn't ringed, which surprised me, but I had a look at the entry for the site in 'Where to Watch Birds in Yorkshire' last night and it mentions the resident, pinioned Whooper, that can be a menace to visitors and sometimes attacks cars!

Case closed, methinks!

There was a crippled (pinioned through injury) whooper there since at least the mid 1980s to about 2000 at least. It did have a thin metal ring on one leg, although this may have been lost now if it's the same bird. It was brought there, possibly from West Yorkshire, and released.

It attracted the occasional wild whooper, but was usually more keen to hang around Kirkholme Point and get fed. each spring, he (and it was a he, dubbed Harry or Sammy I think) used to sulk and head off to Decoy Bay for a week or two, presumably trying to find a mate.

As a child, i'd had my fingers nipped by that bird many a time!

As whoopers can live for well over 30 years, it's possibly the same bird. Although someone may have given him a chum who was similarly incapacitated.

I don't know the origin of the Whooper Swan at Hornsea but it appears that it is unable to leave the area. I have seen it there all year round since 2004. Wasn't sure about it myself until I saw it there throughout the summer in 2005.

Hi all,

Many years ago I unsuspectingly sat down on the sill of the open boot of my car to eat a sandwich at Hornsea Mere.... next thing I knew the Whooper Swan was at eye level,about 6inches away, mugging me for my sandwich! I ended up falling backwards into the boot, much to my mates amusement! Wondered recently what happened to this bird, would be interested to know if this is still that bird, still going strong and mugging people!? Or if there is another incapacitated bird there?

cheers

I'm glad to hear he/she is still around after all these years. It would seem to have done well from mugging visitors for food. Could be up for an ASBO!

Dave C

I have just come back from Cumbria and there was a Whooper on Lake Windermere. I spoke to the RSPB rep at Hawswater (site of the Golden Eagle) who said that this Whooper was well known and had been injured some time back and just didn't / wouldn't / couldn't leave. I did have to take a second look when I saw the yellow bill. I have put it down on my tick list however.
Pete

nickupton said:
I was at Hornsea yesterday feeding the ducks/geese/swans and no sign of the Whooper Swan!

He'd always go up the other end of the mere and try to pair with a mute swan at this time of year. He'd go awol for a couple of weeks, in an area not viewable from the shore.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back