• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mistle Thrush? (1 Viewer)

charlierocky

Spotted this little chap on the top of a lampost this evening. Very shy, did'nt seem to want his photo taken but I was to quick for him. Am I correct in thinking it to be a mistle thrush?

Attachments

• DSCN3189-10055.JPG
    DSCN3189-10055.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN3189-10056.JPG
    DSCN3189-10056.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 30
I would go for Mistle based on wing pattern, dark bold eye and more erratic spotting below...but then I do mix them up sometimes :h?:

Hi Charlie,

I'd definately go with you and Ray for the Mistle Thrush, as Ray says, the wing pattern is exactly as Mistles are, the bolder spots too. The photo doesn't show the longer tail that they have, but that's quite possibly due to the angle that the Bird was sat at. To my mind though, it's still a beautiful Mistle. Well captured Charlie, they're not easy to get.

Sue.

Am I right in thinking that the song is quite different, seem to remember the song thrush being a beautifull melodious song, hence it's name, where the mistle is a rather fast cackling noise. If my memory serves me correct this would confirm the mistle as that is the song......er..... noise he made.

I'm sorry Kit's neither the song or the mistle thrush sounds like the bird I heard? Could this bird be something else? I will try and get a better picture if I have the time this afternoon.

Hi Charlie & All,
I'm not sure about your id Charlie (try not to get involved with things beyond me!) LOL!
I heard a loud aggressive squawk yesterday & watched a pair of Mistle Thrush having a fight over nesting material.
The pics below show the sequence of events.
Hope you find him again Charlie.

p.s. (I think its a Mistle Thrush!) LOL!

Attachments

• DSC_0063.JPG
    DSC_0063.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_0067.JPG
    DSC_0067.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_0080.JPG
    DSC_0080.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 23
Hi Charley,

It's a Mistle Thrush. They are bigger than Song Thrushes but that doesn't help a lot if you only see one on it's own so 2 identification points 1. Song Thrushes look very 'leggy', they are the chorus girls of the bird world; 2. Song Thrushes have streaks rather than spots; here's one in the garden recently, note the streaky underside with the spots overlapping and running together. Compare with the slightly more spaced spots on your bird and on Pie's.

For sound, Song Thrushes repeat a phrase two or three times, sometimes more and sound more melodious, they also have a wider repertoire than the Mistle, although that varies with age, younger birds are much more limited and repetitive. By that I mean that they will come back to a phrase and repeat it yet again.

'The time has come' the Song Thrush said 'For me to find a mate.
I'll start to sing my love-song and leave the rest to fate.
I know that I repeat each phrase, and that's not like other birds;
It's not that I'm not sure of the tune, I can't remember the words!
But the season is getting on a bit and if someone doesn't come soon,
I'm afraid that I'll remember the words and then forget the tune'

Bill.

Attachments

• DS song thrush on grass 090407 .jpg
    DS song thrush on grass 090407 .jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 21
Thanks all,
I have listened to the Mistle thrush song on the link put on by RKell1 and the quick chatter at the end of the piece is what I heard last night.
Thanks again.

bill moss said:
Hi Charley,

It's a Mistle Thrush. They are bigger than Song Thrushes but that doesn't help a lot if you only see one on it's own so 2 identification points 1. Song Thrushes look very 'leggy', they are the chorus girls of the bird world; 2. Song Thrushes have streaks rather than spots; here's one in the garden recently, note the streaky underside with the spots overlapping and running together. Compare with the slightly more spaced spots on your bird and on Pie's.

For sound, Song Thrushes repeat a phrase two or three times, sometimes more and sound more melodious, they also have a wider repertoire than the Mistle, although that varies with age, younger birds are much more limited and repetitive. By that I mean that they will come back to a phrase and repeat it yet again.

'The time has come' the Song Thrush said 'For me to find a mate.
I'll start to sing my love-song and leave the rest to fate.
I know that I repeat each phrase, and that's not like other birds;
It's not that I'm not sure of the tune, I can't remember the words!
But the season is getting on a bit and if someone doesn't come soon,
I'm afraid that I'll remember the words and then forget the tune'

Bill.

Wonderful explanation Bill

A wonderful piece of poetry Bill, well done as always. Glad you ID'd Charlie's Bird for sure.

Love, Sue.

Ray, the RSPB versions of both Bird's songs is perfect; similar to a Blackie and that crackle of a Mistles is uncomparable with any others. Glad you got your Bird for sure Charlie....Our Gert ain't it??? o:D

Sue.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back