• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping- Swarovski or Zeiss scope? (1 Viewer)

Mick50

Hello all. New forum member here. I am looking into purchasing a spotting scope and hopefully exploring the world of digiscoping.

I currently have a Canon 60D DSLR, and I shoot with a 300mm f4L IS lens.

I would love the extra magnification the scope provides. I'm looking for good quality photos, nothing professional or blown up prints, etc.

I am considering the Zeiss Victory DiaScope 20-60x85 T* FL or the Swarovski STS-80 HD 80mm Spotting Scope.

Any thoughts from people who have used either scope? Is there an advantage to one scope over the other, or the method of connecting them to a DSLR?

Thanks. Good Birding to all.

Hi Mick 50. I don't know if an answer is still relevant. I only use(d) a Swarovski telescope. At first the one you mention above and now the STX 95 and they are very good telescopes. From what I have read the Zeiss is also a fine telescope. For both brands the digidapter can be used to place a camera behind the telescope. A DSLR might not be the best choise for digiscoping, because the mirror movement might cause vibrations and I am not sure a digidapter can accomodate one. But you coulds ask the maker of the digidapter. Many people use a micro 4/3 system camera (from Panasonic, Sony, Olympus), with a 20-30 mm lens. Also the Sony RX100 (I, II and II), a compact camera, are good digiscoping camera's.

Jan.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back