• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Psycho Nuthatch... (1 Viewer)

mbarry

OK, it was funny for a while but now I'm feeling aviacidal.
There's a nuthatch who entertains himself for hours by fighting with his reflection in several of the windows of my house.
The pecking, flapping, fluttering mayhem has finally got on my nerves. It's no longer cute. Enough.
Any tips for discouraging "the little pecker"?
Thanks!
MB in SE MI

I know how you feel MB. I had a Cape Wagtail fighting its reflection in my wing mirror and side window for what seemed like hours every day where I parked my car. I worried about the Wagtail injuring itself; I worried that it would wear itself out and not collect enough food; and when it started, at one point, to hurl itself against the windscreen, I envisaged it taking a chip out of the glass! As far as I know, there is nothing you can do other than cover your windows with sheets or newspaper or something similar. Possibly keeping lights on in the affected rooms may help to reduce the reflection. I believe this behaviour is most common in the breeding season because they are trying to keep rivals from their territory, so later in the year you can let in the light again . . . . Good luck!

Nuthatch nuisance...

Sal - thanks for the thoughtful response. Didn't consider he might just be horny! That earns a little sympathy.
Bird on!
MB in MI

At least yours is small, I have a Roadrunner that comes in and pecks on my windows!

Nuthatches can be funny little birds. While I was filling one of my feeders a few weeks ago, two of them sat in the tree not 2 feet from my head and scolded me the whole time! I would talk to them and they would quiet and listen to me, then start right back up as soon as I stopped talking! I guess I was moving too slow for them. Funniest bird encounter I've ever had!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back