• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Damsel ID help please (1 Viewer)

Adrian D

I get really confused trying to identify blue damselflies, but I usually manage to pin them down in the end, but this one has got me stumped as the markings don't seem to correspond to anything that I have managed to look up (although I know some are very variable), so I require some help from someone far more experienced in these matters.

This female was ovipositing at our pond throughout this afternoon, and I have attached 3 shots, one of which shows the marking on S2 as I know this is often one of the keys in determining a species.
My best guess is female Variable Damselfly, but I am not sure the marking on S2 is correct for that species.

Strangely, until this one appeared today, we had been devoid of dragons & damsels at our pond this year with the exception of one large red damselfly earlier in the season, which is a species we have never had in the garden before.

Thanks in advance for advice given,
Regards,
Adrian

Attachments

• Female-Damsel-1.jpg
    Female-Damsel-1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Female-Damsel-2.jpg
    Female-Damsel-2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Female-Damsel-3.jpg
    Female-Damsel-3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 71
The pronotum looks wrong for Variable so I would say it's either a Southern or an Azure but it's difficult to see all of the rear edge. On the basis that there is no pale bar between the post ocular spots I would go for Azure. I'm sure someone will be along in due course to confirm or not.

Shane

Hi Adrian

As Shane says it's an Azure. (Pale wavy edge shows well on pic 3)

The pattern on S2 is useful for males but no good for differentiating females unfortunately.

Thank you for your reply Shane, I had forgotten about checking the pronotum, as I had become so 'wrapped-up' in trying to get the S2 markings to fit.

Paul, thank you for confirming what Shane had suggested. I wasn't aware that the S2 markings weren't as reliable on females. I will remember to pay closer attention to the pronotum in future.

Thanks to you both for your help, that's a bit more information for me to store away.

Adrian

This page may be of use. It's not perfect but I've recently added photos of a Southern female without a bar between the post-ocular spots and an Azure with a bar between the post-ocular spots - to point out that it's not a reliable feature. Photo attached here.

Attachments

• azure_mercuriale_female_exceptions.jpg
    azure_mercuriale_female_exceptions.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Thanks for the link Paul, it looks like it will definitely be a point of reference for me in the future.
Many thanks again for your help.
Adrian

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back