• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yesterday certainly was interesting (1 Viewer)

Kaled

Yesterday I went to the North Shore to go on a bird walk. We met at the Wild Bird Center just outside of Covington at 7:30. Once everyone got there, we went to Fontainbleu state park. We heard a lot, but didn't see much since it had rained the night before; however, a blue jay, a silhouette that might have been a wren my first red headed woodpecker and either a juv. red-tailed hawk or juv. red-shouldered hawk perched on a tree branch that had fallen into the marsh.
We got back to the store at around 10:30. At 1:00 there was a speaker talking about wintering hummingbirds, and at 2:30 a falconer came and talked. The falconer brought some of his birds with him. He had a red-tailed hawk, a black vulture, a barn owl, and a Harris' hawk. We actually got to pet the vulture, owl, and Harris' hawk. The red-tailed was somewhat agressive though. One thing I found surprising was how soft the barn owl's feathers were. I wish I'd have had a camera.

Aw, Michael, vultures are COOL!

I got my only close-up visit with a vulture kept as an education bird several years ago. I swear he flirted with me!

Haven't seen my lifer Black Vulture yet -- although I keep trying!

Kaled, your day sounds great! And getting lifer is so much fun, isn't it? We saw at least two families of Red-headed Woodpeckers on Sunday morning, juvies and adults both, playing among themselves and having a territorial dispute with some Northern Flickers.

What Beverly! I just saw a Black Vulture yesterday. But I'll admit, that was the first one for several months.
You do see Turkey Vultures I know. You must. I see so, so many here once it starts to get cooler.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back