• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding along the waterfront in West Vancouver, BC (1 Viewer)

promisingplayer

I decided to go to some areas I haven't yet visited for birding near my home in West Vancouver, BC today. On Grebe Islets just off the cliffs of Klootchman Park, I saw pelagic cormorants, surf scoters, and black oystercatchers. There were also at least six harbour seals in the water. One was swimming in the water just below the cliffs. I saw quite a few golden crowned kinglets and a rufous-sided towhee when walking back from the cliffs. On the way home, I stopped at unnamed park along the West Vancouver waterfront. There I saw four killdeer, another rufous-sided towhee, and a belted kingfisher. It was a great afternoon!

Kate

Hi Kate,

A few years ago I visited Vancouver for a meeting, and did some birding. I had read that Klootchman Park was a good spot to see Black Oystercatcher, but couldn't find it on the street map. Eventually found roughly where it was, but even driving round the local streets and enquiring from people out on their front lawns, and asking at a local store, no-one could tell me how to get there. Eventually we found the entrance and went in, and spent a delightful time gazing at the Pacific from the cliff-top. And yes, the Black Oystercatchers were below on a rock. Since then I have mentioned Klootchman Park to all sorts of people (not birders) who claim to know Vancouver, and no-one has ever heard of it! You're the first person I've come across who seems familiar with it!

Incidentally, that was the same trip I saw the Crested Mynahs flying in and out of their hole in a wall above a bank, while sitting in MacDonalds across the street. (I believe they've gone now).

Richard

I get to Vancouver a couple of times a year and always head to Prince's Park - how far is Klootchman Park from downtown? Sounds like it might be worth a visit.
Thanks

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply! Klootchman Park is not very well known, as you discovered. It is a great park. It would probably be better known in the rock climbing community. On my first visit, two families were hiking in to go rock climbing on the cliffs. There is a trail for beginners at the base of the cliffs. If you fall, it's only no more than ten or twelve feet to the water. I have been back a couple of times since my first visit. I enjoy it very much now!

The first place I saw black oystercatchers in Vancouver was on the side of the road of the Tsawwassen Ferry Jetty two years ago. There were four or five of them right there!! It was very cool!

I don' t know if the crested mynahs are gone. I know that they are very rare here though. I am hoping that I will be able to find one on a walk in the area where they are reported to still be. I'll let you know if I see one.

On today's walk at the beach, my boyfriend Les and I saw two common loons in winter phase and three harbour seals. There were lots of mallards, as usual, about 20 american widgeons, and a few female greater scaups on the duck pond. I forgot to mention the pair of mean mute swans resident on the pond. Over on Capilano river, I saw a few female common mergansers. Oh, I forgot to note there are always gulls present and pelagic cormorants around at the beach. I unfortunately am not too keen on gulls. Thus I haven't learned the distinguishing features of any of the gulls in Vancouver.

Recent changes around here include a pair of beavers at the Ambleside Duck Pond. This has been the first time I've seen beavers. So I go down to the duck pond quite often to see them. Though I didn't see them today. A raft of surf scoters was floating off the beach for a couple of days last week. Hopefully, they will return soon to stay for the winter. Also, a family of otters over the summer were living in the rocks of the western rock jetty right next to the dog beach at Ambleside. Two weekends ago, Les and I went up to Cypress Bowl, where we saw a black bear from a distance. That was another first for me! If that wasn't exciting enough, last Saturday, a black bear woke me up when it was trying to get at the window birdfeeder. The window where the birdfeeder was located was right above my head!! The bear has been back through the yard since then, too. It left a souvenir....bear droppings!! We live only five streets up from the Marine Drive in West Vancouver. The bears have never been down this low! Due to the drought we had over the summer, the bears have come down the mountain to forage....right through our yard!!! We live next to a small park. We think the bear is sleeping in the underbrush during the day and foraging after dark.

This afternoon, we watched the weather news and saw a story about the destruction of Point Pleasant Park by Hurricane Juan in Halifax. The report said that about 70% of the trees in the park were destroyed. Also, the report stated that clean up of the park will begin very soon. Is Kentville near Halifax? I am wondering if Point Pleasant was an area well populated with birds and wildlife. I am assuming that birds and animals have been greatly affected by the destruction of the trees throughout the park.

What other great birign areas are there besides Fundy Bay in NS?

Kate

Hi Charlie M,

Once you cross the Lions Gate Bridge to the North Shore, Klootchman Park is about a fifteen to twenty minute drive west along Marine Drive. To find it, watch for the sign for Lighthouse Park on the left. Then take the first road, Howe Sound Lane, on the left after Lighthouse Park. When you drive down this road, you will see the first road on the right is called The Byway. The very small entrance to Klootchman Park is located on the right just passed The Byway. Note that parking is very limited. If you want to get there by bus, take the # 250 blue bus to West Vancouver on West Georgia St. Tell the bus driver that you want to disembarque at Howe Sound Lane on Marine Drive. If the driver is not familiar with Howe Sound Lane, tell him you want the stop after Lighthouse Park, I think. The walk from Marine Drive is not long at all. Let me know if you'd be taking the bus, I will verify the # of stops past Lighthouse Park for you, if you'd like.

I have lived in Vancouver all of my life. Though I am very familiar with most of the parks and the birding areas here, I have never heard of Prince's Park. Where is it?

Also, there is book on birding in Vancouver. It's titled, "The Birder's Guide to Vancouver and the Lower Mainland. It was compiled by the Vancouver Natural History Society in 2001. The publishing company is Whitecap Books in Vancouver and Toronto. I'm sure you would love this book!

Hi again Kate,

Luckily the Annapolis Valley (where Kentville is located) was not affected by Hurricane Juan, but Halifax was indeed. I think it's too early to tell yet what the long-term effects of the destruction of Pt. Pleasant Park will be. If you want to know more about birding in N.S., check out this web site - http://www.fatbirder.com/links_geo/america_canada/nova_scotia.html, in conjunction with a map of the Province. If you ever come birding here, contact me!
Incidentally, I am a gull enthusiast, and I have seen California, Mew, Glaucous-winged, Herring, Ring-billed and Bonaparte's in Vancouver.

Cheers,

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back