• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cosmeston Park (1 Viewer)

Lol

Yesterday (13th October) was very interesting on the West Lake where the usual group of Pochard and Tufted ducks were joined by 6 Shoveler, a Gadwall, a female Wigeon, 3 Teal and a female (or juv) Ruddy Duck. A 2nd winter Med gull made a brief appearance, but there was surprisingly little movement in the 2 hours I was there, other than the 18 Canadas that dropped in..

All change this morning (14th October) as the Med gull and most of the ducks had disappeared, but the Buzzard was very active and there were quite a few birds on the move. Small groups of Redwing dropped in, and later a flock of around 30 Fieldfare, with small numbers of Skylark passing over and still good numbers of Swallows darting South. Several Jay, harvesting the Oak trees, were very active.

Lol

Last edited:
Hi Lol,

Welcome to BirdForum!

Sounds a good day. I reckon your Med Gull will be back though, once in, they usually stick around for ages.

Lots of Redwing & Fieldfare been coming in here too, most of them going straight on without stopping - I guess the weather is so good they don't need to stop to feed up here

Michael

Hi Lol,

Welcome to Bird Forum!

P'raps the Ruddy is now an ex-Ruddy!

How are your Buzzards doing? Here in Gwent I think the youngsters are having a hard time, dry ground, no worms etc.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Lol,
On behalf of all of the Moderators and Admin, welcome to BirdForum. An interesting first post of your day out. I see that the summer visitors (Swallows) have met the winter visitors (Redwings etc.). Look forward to more of your observations and postings in other threads. I am sure you will find the forum an interesting and friendly place. Hope you will enjoy it here.

Some very kind words and a warm welcome - thank-you.
I didn't even know that buzzards ate worms? - but then I only figured out that Jays ate acorns after two years of wondering why they always flew with their bills open in Autumn :)

I wonder though if I have posted in the right thread as I now see a Local patch thread - so I am uncertain where to post my next day's sightings. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

(now off to figure out how to get a Welsh flag on my posts)

For your flag ~ User Options>Edit Profile>Select your Country.

Hi Lol, welcome to bird forum. You will always find someone with an answer to your questions here!

Hi Lol,

You can always ask a moderator to move the thread to a different section - there's a Glamorgan forum, and a Local Patch forum. Probably the Glamorgan one might be best, so that anyone wanting to look for places to visit in Glamorgan can find it easily. Go to 'forum jump' (below left of where you're reading now!) and scroll down to the county index, to see what there is)

To get a Welsh flag, go to 'User Options' in the red bar at the top of the page (just below the banner pic), and in that click on 'Edit Profile'. In that, scroll down to 'Select your Country'.

Yep, Buzzards do eat worms - very good protein too, weight for weight, twice as good quality as mammal protein. Worms are a very important food for Buzzards in long wet spells, they are easy to find then, at a time when any other hunting is very difficult.

Michael

I think the post is OK where it is - Lol was simply describing the birds seen on his day out. The Local Patch forum would be the place to write a report of the actual area/reserve and nearby facilities.

I agree that there is sometimes a bit of crossover of information from one forum to the other.

Thanks for the advice guys - on balance I think it best to stay here for the moment - got the flag sorted - I now need to get a scan of my Gyrfalcon sorted out (well Richard Millington's Gyrfalcon really - I just happen to own the drawing, not the copyright - so maybe need to get his permission first).

Thanks for your comments Diane - I originate from Rotherham, but spent most of my early birding days at Wath and Broomhill (there are a few stories there I can tell you) - Is that an Ancient Murrulet ? :)

Yesterday (15th October) was a lovely bright Autumn day - but I wasn't able to get out until around noon. The park was glowing in yellow and brown, and the Buzzards were out enjoying the thermals. It was pretty thin on the bird front, but the sort of day when it didn't really seem so important. I paused by the new gate overlooking the valley towards Sully, a great panoramic view, but with just a few Meadow Pipits and the frequent Buzzrd to interupt the serenity.

Up to my right, over the wood I caught sight of what I expected to be a Kestrel, but as I raised the binoculars I was surprised to see a Peregrine and then after a couple of wingbeats and a swift stoop, the flash of mucky brown confirmed that I was wrong again as a pugnaceous little female Merlin sent the Pipits scattering, flashed over the hedgerow in a way that would make the Sparrowhawk envious, ruffled the feathers of a nosey Magpie and flashed off into the distance. A nice year tick and probably my first for the park. She did appear again briefly, followed minutes later by a female Sparrowhawk, and I realised that the reason I had not identified the Merlin quicker was that I have never seen a Merlin from below before, the pale undertail was something completely new to me. So a quiet hour became magical in the blink of an eye.

Today (16th October) I was again short of time but managed to fit an hour in. A singing chiff-chaff greeted me, but the East lake was buzzing with radio-controlled yaughts (that doesn't look right ?) - so all the ducks and gulls had moved on to the West lake - which was great as I could scope the lot in the time allowed. The best laid plans .... as I got close to the lake I saw a gull that seemed somewhat larger than the adjacent Black-headed lot - and I then spent the rest of my available time confirming that it was indeed a Ring-billed gull - another year tick - I am still trying to sort out whether it was a 3rd winter or just a spotty adult - it is early in the year, and i am a bit rusty, and where are the Common gulls when you really need them :)

Last edited:
...Common Gull, now thats a misnomer!

Good interesting account. Keep em' coming:t:

As for the image (avatar) keep the size no larger than 80 x 80 pixels.

Last edited:
Today (17th October) it was time to put the shorts back in the bottom drawer and get the gloves, scarf and woolly hat out, as we got our first reminder that summer doesn't last forever. I had my first fully free morning for a few days and decided to go for 50 birds - I am just a lister at heart really. I have to confess that I didn't much fancy my chances and knew that with the strong winds there might not be many second chances if I didn't get onto birds quickly enough.

Initial disappointments - as neither the Med gull nor the Ring-billed gull were around, and worse, no sign of any Shoveler, Gadwall, Wigeon or the Ruddy duck. It was tempting to have a brief discussion with the guy who had parked in the disabled spot (with no sticker), left his engine running (why?) and was merrily creating havoc amongst *MY* gulls and ducks by throwing bread at them - but I decided better of it - as I heard a nearby Chiff-chaff shouting 'wait, wait'.

There were a lot of Woodpigeon flying around, which should have alerted me, but somehow I seemed oblivious to the signs. I quickly made a mental note of lakes tally, Coot, Moorhen, Mute Swan, 2 grebes, 3 ducks, Canadas, 3 gulls, Cormorant - 15 down and 35 to go. A sweet tinkle call from the teasel, and with those in the adjacent bush, gold, green and chaff, 3 finches were quickly added, and two wagtail. Then it was bonus time as a single hawthorn held a feeding party, adding 4 tits and a goldcrest (shame there was no 'pitchooo' - I haven't seen Marsh all year - and I haven't seen a Willow for 10 years). Lots of movement overhead and along the bottom of the hedgerow as 4 thrushes were added (but there was to be no Mistle today) - 5 if we count the Robin. The distinctive calls of Skylark and Meadow Pipit added two more - but I decided that the 'Phisst' of the Rock Pipit was just not good enough as whilst it was a common bird half a mile away it would have been a first for the park for me. The 'soowee' of the Yellow wagtail has to be an illusion this late surely - so that one was consigned to the 'nonsense' list. A cluster of scolding wrens took me took the tally after 20 minutes and 200 yards, to 33. A soft low call and a flash of red added another finch and took me to my new found gate, to lean on - and the panoramic views across the valley.

The Woodpigeon were still very agitated and I soon found out why as a Peregrine towered above the wood, did a half stoop, changed his mind and glided powerfully towards me, veering away 50 yards in front of me, and with two or three powerful wingbeats flashed away to my right. A very bright male Kestrel, and a big brown and little blue/grey Sparrowhawk hunted amongst the Pipits in tandem. The raptor quartet was soon completed by a couple of Buzzards hanging in the wind. Rooks were nowhere to be seen, but the corvid quartet became a quintet when the distinctive 'Bok, Bok, Bok' alerted me to a couple of Ravens gliding overhead. An hour passed very quickly and on 42 I began to wonder where the other eight would come from.

The woodland was disappointing and added neither Treecreeper nor Nuthatch, but the distinctive call of a Green woodpecker was good. As I circled round to look over the lake a late flock of hirundines flashed hurriedly by, all Swallows but with the Grey Heron doing a circuit of the lake and the 10 Teal coming out of hiding I was now running out of time and still only on 46. A small flock of finches which I expected to be the Goldies surprised me by being mainly Linnet, but I missed a larger bird in there (must have been another Greenfinch) - and I quickly mopped up Starling, House Sparrow and Collared dove - to leave me on 50 and no time to search for a Dunnock before the first race at Newmarket. A good mornings work.

Last edited:
Today (Monday, 20th October) - (I don't work week-ends ;-)

A good start as I left the car park, the distinctive undulating flight of a Great Spotted Woodpecker over the lake, and another nice male landed close by as I sorted through the finches. A short sit down to scope the gulls reminded me how cold it was, and how interesting the various plumages can be at this time of year. Lots of noises overhead; Redwing, Fieldfare, Skylark, Meadow pipit; Grey Wagtail and Pied, and a lot of Goldfinch - each with their own little greeting.

At the West lake there were few gulls and all the ducks were over the far end, so didn't bother with the scope, just rushed through them with the bins - one interesting looking hybrid type duck to check out when I get over the other side.

A Buzzard, a pair of Kestrel, a trio of Raven - sounds like a Christmas song - but what is that call ? - damn mobile phone - will need to get back within the hour to rescue a damsel in distress.

At the far end of the West lake I stop on the bridge to count a handful of urgent Swallows, admire the flight of the Grey Heron (wonder when the Bittern will get back?) try to string a Little Grebe into a Whimbrel (nice try eh ?) - and check out the dodgy duck - Holy wotsits !! - a full blown drake Ferruginous duck - head hidden - but enough of the rump and sides and all to see what he is - when he does consent to look around I am a little disappointed with the head shape - but that is the only negative - better make a few telephone calls - SWIFT does exist of course - but not for plastic ducks :)

Shame I didn't have any bread to test if he was wild or not :)

... and back home to sort out the lady's PC problem - all in a hard mornings graft hey ? - can't wait for next week when the Chaffinches turn Blue and the Woodpigeons live in Laurels - and the Meadow Pipits are of the Berthelot's kind :)

I might even sort out one of those bow-winged Shearwaters for you John C - long time no speak mate :)

Lol (M)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back