• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rye Meads (1 Viewer)

Birdbrain

"Birders do it in the Field"
United Kingdom
At rye meads today bout 11:00 in draper hide sore,
8 grey herons all in a tight group never seen lots together
like this is this normal, also 4 snipe,3 water rail and a
green woodpecker chasing a great woodpecker, this is
quite a good place not far from me you see lots of cool
birdies any one been.

Hi Bird Brain

I'm usually there at least once a month it's my nearest good birding spot. Haven't seen a woodpecker there in ages nor a water rail *sigh*

No Green Sandpipers today?

Always lots of Herons, the occasional Ruddy and pretty good on Kingfishers

Hi Bird Brain,
I went there in late spring, hoping to see kingfishers from the hide opposite the artificial bank. Was there for 3 hours and never saw one kingfisher! But what happened more than made up for that.
First, there was a kestrel family in and around the box on the pylon. The mother and the chick were taking it in turns to fly across onto the roof of the hide I was in. They flew so low I first thought that they were going to fly straight through the hide window (upstairs hide). It was marvellous to watch them.
I also saw 2 Jays in the trees behind the pylon. It is very rare for me to see Jays. I had been in Peterborough the day before where I saw 2 kingfishers, so it was a good few days I had.
I wish I lived nearer as I would visit more often. I liked what they were doing at Rye Meads to get the children interested - got to start them young before they get too many other interests - like computer games and TV soaps and stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back