• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone use a laser mouse? (1 Viewer)

BarryH

Anyone was using a laser mouse as opposed to an optical mouse?

They seem to have a higher DPI rate and just wondered if they were more accurate. My Genius mouse has a 400 DPI listing where laser mice seem to be either 1000 or 1600 DPI.

Great for photo editing. I use a Logitec wireless one. The receiver is really small and fits neatly in the USB port of a laptop.

Great for photo editing. I use a Logitec wireless one. The receiver is really small and fits neatly in the USB port of a laptop.

Dennis,

Thanks for the help.

Does the mouse need a line of site to the receiver? I ask because my tower with all the PCs workings is beneath my desk.

BarryH
Just got the logitech MX620 cordless laser mouse & its great, the receiver is pluged into back of the tower & pushed up against the wall ( about 4" gap ) & works a treat.
Regards.
Stan.

Thanks for the reply, I went down the Trackball route before asking about the Laser Mouse. I thought it was the way to go.

Perhaps I didn't give the Trackball a fair trial, it just felt so alien and uncomfotable in my hand. I was wanting to move it all the time.

I felt the same way and I guess most people do but I persevered and although I use a mouse on my second computer I couldn't go back to it full-time. In my case the mouse feels alien. The fact that you don't move a trackball frees up quite a lot of real-estate too. I also like how it's much easier to clean but needs cleaned far less. I'll probably buy a second one for the other pc come to think of it. I use the Logitech Marble Mouse, if that's of any help. Not all trackballs are the same and the Marble Mouse feels quite a lot like a standard mouse in the hand. Of course I'm left handed and so can't use some of Logitech's more expensive designs as they only cater for righties.

Gordon.

Hi Gordon,

You mention being left handed, do you actually use the Trackball with your left hand?

When I first had to use a CAD System at work, it had a graphics tablet for the right hand and a set of control buttons for the left and I was told I had to learn to use both hands the way the system was designed. As the graphics tablet controlled most of the action, I continued using my right hand when I had a mouse on my normal PC.

Never thought of trying to switch back to my left hand. You've started me thinking now.

Thanks for the help.

I can only use my left hand. Trouble is most of the higher spec Logitech trackballs are right-handed only. There are other makes such as Kensington but there's so ungainly they basically become two-handed affairs because the buttons are so far away from the ball.

Here's the one I use -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-91...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1268695780&sr=8-2

It fits like a glove. I have the smaller right button set to auto-scroll and it works identically to a mouse scroll wheel.

Gordon.

Not sure if it's of any help to anyone on here but I went to my local PC shop this morning to ask about the Trackman mouse. The guy that looks after my PCs got me to try a graphics tablet, unbelievably good and very accurate.

I thought the catch would be in the price but I was quite happy to find the Wacom Bamboo models from as low as £45.

They can be set up to use with either hand, left or right. They changed the settings on the one they had connected to their PC to left handed and I found it really easy to use, not just for drawing and masking in Photoshop but normal "mouse" stuff as well.

Last edited:
Laser mouse FTW. The "ball" mouse I can barely get it to move these days, besides I hate the feeling of that little "bump" feeling when you are moving it around. Laser = swift

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back