• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for birding spots in Scotland (1 Viewer)

saviornitho

Jérémy Savioz
Hello,

I'll be in Glasgow from 28th december untill mid-January to visit a friend (so it's not a birdwatching trip). But still, as I can't travel without watching birds I'm looking for some good spots for birdwatching in this area :).
What would you advise me ? And what interesting species are there to observe during the cold winter of Scotland :p ?
Also, is it really necessary to take a telescope or are binoculars enough ?

Thanks in advance !

If you have time, I'd thoroughly recommend a trip to Musselburgh just to the east of Edinburgh (train to Edinburgh Waverley, then bus to Musselburgh, if you don't have a car).

Here's some information from the excellent Birding Lothian website:

http://www.birdinglothian.co.uk/#/wtg-musselburgh/4538674892

If you go at high tide, you should get close views of Velvet Scoter, Long-tailed Duck and Red-throated Diver among others. They come close to the seawall at high tide, so you wouldn't really need a telescope (even though that's always an advantage). There is a good variety of habitat, and hides overlooking pools as well.

Thanks for your answers and for the link to the other thread.
Are Hogganfield Loch, Lochwinnoch and Baron's Haugh also interesting in winter ?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back