• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New released Swaro CL Companion 8x30 B (2 Viewers)

OK, they just came in.
First quick impressions of the 10x30 new against old:
Diameter tubes new CL 41.3mm against 45.3mm old CL.
Diameter eyelens 23mm against 18mm.
Diameter focuswheel 28mm against 30mm.
Weight 484 gram against 521 gram.
Close focus to infinity starting at 12 hours is full turn and second ends at 07.00 hours against 01.00 hours old model, so the new one is slower.
Optical box (whatever that may be) permitts me to insert the eyecups fully without causing blackouts. Amazing!
Gijs will measure the transmission spectra next week and will bring "light"in this matter, but the new is brighter and more defined/higher contrast.
Focuswheel smooth as butter. No backlash with dioptersetting inside focuswheel. Bit difficult to see where it's at but once set in once set.

This is an Swarovski as it should be!

Jan

Last edited:
OK, they just came in.
Close focus to infinity starting at 12 hours is full turn and second ends at 07.00 hours against 01.00 hours old model, so the new one is slower.
Optical box (whatever that may be) permitts me to insert the eyecups fully without causing blackouts. Amazing!
Gijs will measure the transmission spectra next week and will bring "light"in this matter, but the new is brighter and more defined/higher contrast.
Focuswheel smooth as butter. No backlash with dioptersetting inside focuswheel. Bit difficult to see where it's at but once set in once set.

Jan

Thanks Jan. If it's not a hassle could you post a pic of it next to the old version? If that's a pain in the behind don't bother.

OK, they just came in.

Jan

Sounds promising with the optical box etc.
Will the new CL destroy the Leica UVHD+ 8x32 and SV 8x32 sales?

Alright Gilmore Girl...you KNOW we will have to buy one. :t:

I just bought two Glocks in the last 30 days, AND want to upgrade my TV soon. Going to have to work a LOT of overtime and get some extra teaching gigs. :-C

This looks like my next bin (and I thought it might be an SF or Noctivid).

I probably will too. I was going to get an SF but Chosun Juan talked me out of it. At $2500.00 it wasn't too hard though.:eek!:

Last edited:
Maljunulo, post 65,
Urk is the name of a city/former island in The Netherlands, Maarssen is the city where House of Outdoor can be found, just in case you do not understand Jan's joke.
Gijs van Ginkel

I wouldn't go that far, but I fear for the 32 Trinnie, Genesis, Conquest and Meostar.
Will get them on a row and post a pick later on.

Jan
I don't know I have the Euro HD 8x32 (Meostar HD) and the Swarovski 8x30 CL is going to have to be darn good to beat it. But I will still be first in line to try one.;)

I wouldn't go that far, but I fear for the 32 Trinnie, Genesis, Conquest and Meostar.
Will get them on a row and post a pick later on.

Jan

Jan,

That would be an interesting shootout. There seems to be a gap between those x32s and the ELSV that could do with filling. Is this the one?

David

Oops, I made the mistake of recently stopping by Birdforum binoculars after a hiatus, only to find this new Swaro on the way. Jan, the photos clinched it: I'll be trying this one.

The bino cases mentioned earlier (#55, 56, etc.) are indeed my favorites. They do everything they should and nothing they shouldn't. They fold flat when not in use (< 1"), weigh next to nothing, don't need a separate strap, and provide plenty of protection for travel. I bought one for my 42mm SV when Swaro closed them out and liked it so much I found one for my 32mm SV on an auction site. They are minimalist, which might explain why some didn't like them--not fancy enough for the $$ maybe?? Beats me. Swaro called them the "functional bag" if memory serves. Wish they'd bring them back. My first gen "field bags" have never seen the light of day.

Looking forward to field reports on this little newbie.

Okidoki,

Pics of the little giants.

Jan

I've tried 3 of the 4 you have in the pic on the right, and own 2 of them, the 8x32 Trinovid HD, and the Swaro 8x32 EL. I am attracted to the scale of these small bins. As usual for me, eye relief is the foremost issue I have to contend with, which knocked the 8x32 Conquests out. Unfortunately, the the new Swaro, at least on paper, won't work for me at 16mm. The Trinovid HD at 17mm turned out to be a good fit, with a very smooth focuser, and delivered a big, bright circle with a crisp edge to my eyes. I picked it up on a trip to Washington D.C. (never wander into a Leica store when you're in the mood...) Even the little zip up wetsuit pouch works for slinging it over one shoulder and walking around, pulling it out every once in awhile. At its scale and price, an ideal travel bin. It makes a fine all day birding bin as well, but I would take the pouch off the strap if I was going that route.

Bill

Last edited:
No no, it's no vulgar curiosity. You're in denial......:eek!::eek!:

But just to amuse you; in 8x it's €1.140,00 and €1.170,00 for the 10.

Jan

These will cost here in the USA about the same as a new Leica Rubber Armored 7x35 Trinovid or a Rubber Armored 8x40 Trinovid which is 100 bucks more.

Which one would you rather have?

Choices :eek!: Choices :h?:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1361094-REG/leica_40712_7x35_trinovid_binocular_black.html

Bob

Last edited:
Ouch, me beeing a convicted 7x addict, this is going to be a tough choice...mmmwah WTF I take the CL and the 7x8-P

Jan

Jan:

I recently have had the pleasure of using a Habicht 7x42, it is an
impressive binocular.

How do you like this one, I suppose you have tried it ?

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back