• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Magee Marsh, Ohio, USA (1 Viewer)

bobsofpa

I just got back from 3 days at Magee Marsh in northern Ohio on the south shore of Lake Erie. The Warblers stop here to rest and feed before crossing the lake into Canada.

To say the photographic opportunities were great would be an understatement. I have never seen so many Warblers and so close. My telephoto lens has a minimum focus distance of 15 feet. There were many times I could not get the photograph because the Warblers were too close. I never have had that problem before with small birds. Usually it is just the opposite, and I am using stacked teleconverters on my telephoto lens to increase its range.

Now I have to process and ID the photographs I took. I averaged about 600 shots per day. Of course, with birds I will be happy if I keep 20%. But that is still a lot of work for the next week or two.

But thanks to the many friendly birders (the place was packed) that were willing to help a poor photographer identify what he was shooting. It will save me many hours of pouring over Sibley's. Even at that, I am sure there will be some I have to submit to the Bird ID Forum.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back