• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

crestless cardinal pictures (Central Ohio, USA) (1 Viewer)

Crestless cardinals

This spring I had a pair of crest-less cardinals in my back yard--male and female. They evidently had crest-less babies, because now I have more of them. These are really crest-less; they have fully feathered round little heads. Only one young male seems to have a partial crest.

What's going on? I have a lot of pictures of them, but I can't seem to post them from my iPad.

Thanks!

Are you sure they are Cardinals and not Summer Tanagers? Also, Cardinals, like all crested birds, have the capability of lowering their crests at will.

Nope, these are your standard backyard cardinals. The two adults have been here since spring; I'm assuming the others are their offspring. Their heads are fully feathered, and they are nice, healthy-looking birds. I've noticed, though, that the males will readily eat from the feeder, while the females tend to pick seeds off the ground around the feeder.

When they first showed up, I did some research and read that 10 percent of cardinals have no crest. Is that right?

Thanks for the answers.

I think I can now post pictures. I've got probably over 100 photos of these guys; they've been around all summer and seem to get into every photo. The pathetic-looking bird is, I assume, molting.

To reiterate: in spring I suddenly noticed first a female, then a male cardinal, neither of whom had crests. Last week I realized that there were now several crestless cardinals coming to the feeder; I assume these include offspring of the first pair. One young male does seem to have a bit of a crest, but it's pretty vestigal.

I read that about one out of ten cardinals doesn't have a crest, but around here, it's the norm.

Any insight into this would be appreciated.

Attachments

• both cardinals together.jpg
    both cardinals together.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 212
  • female cardinal #4.jpg
    female cardinal #4.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 231
  • male cardinal #1.jpg
    male cardinal #1.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 421
  • cardinal and goldfinch.jpg
    cardinal and goldfinch.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 251
  • male cardinal #2.jpg
    male cardinal #2.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 392
This is your standard Northern Cardinal.

I cannot tell you how many photos I have of these guys with their crests down.

Why do you think they have their crests down, instead of no crests? I've never seen any of these with erect crests, and as you can see in the photos, their heads and necks show none of the thickness I usually see in cardinals who have lowered their crests. Thanks.

Crestless cardinals

I too have seen (this morning) a pair of crestless cardinals. The feathers on their heads are so smooth. There is no trace of a crest on either one. What a blessing from the Lord to see such a sight! I am now visiting Greenville, SC.

Hello! Kerflufflefarmer I have also noticed a male cardinal at my feeder with no crest. He has been around for a couple of years. I'm not sure if he has a girlfriend :) I noticed 7 male cardinals yesterday, one of which was him. I didn't count the females but there were several of those too! Great pics!!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back