• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Presumed Little Stint, Islay (1 Viewer)

Simon M

I decided this was the best venue for this. A friend of mine (who's kind of a birder but not super into ID) uploaded this shot to her facebook. It was present at Machair Bay, Islay on 30th August. As far as I can see it's most likely a Little Stint and I'm not sure it's possible to advance the ID beyond that given the photo, but I thought it would be worth putting up here in case anyone was on or near to Islay and had chance to stop by, especially given the current weather. She has other photos but can't access them until Wednesday, so hopefully should be resolvable eventually.

Attachments

• stint sp.jpg
    stint sp.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 203
Mostly likely yes but I'd like view of the mantle - can't see obvious mantle lines but also can possibly see apparent solid dark centres to the rear scaps.

So I finally got higher res shots through and the penny dropped straight away. Despite the seemingly long-necked and stint-like pose, it's a juv. Sanderling! I can upload the close-ups if anyone really cares that much.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back