• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best card for Canon 7D please? (1 Viewer)

Penny Clarke

Just bought the 7d and threw in my sandisk extreme III compact flash 2gb card that I use/d for 40d. I need to buy a/some new cards and would like some advice on which card is best please. Googling best card for 7d comes up with the sandisk 16gb extreme cf compact flash card 60mbs. Is there any reason why I can't use the 4gb or 8gb card or are these not big enough memory/speed for videos? Advice please?

Best Wishes Penny

Just bought the 7d and threw in my sandisk extreme III compact flash 2gb card that I use/d for 40d. I need to buy a/some new cards and would like some advice on which card is best please. Googling best card for 7d comes up with the sandisk 16gb extreme cf compact flash card 60mbs. Is there any reason why I can't use the 4gb or 8gb card or are these not big enough memory/speed for videos? Advice please?

Best Wishes Penny

Penny,

The type of card that you need is very dependant upon the way you operate the camera and your style of shooting. If you use either a 2gb or a 4gb card you will need several back up cards for a full day out in the field. Personally I use a Sandisk Extreme III 60mb/s 16gb card and I sometimes fill that on a day out if there are plenty of photo opportunities, as I did recently with some approachable Dotterel but I have 80gb of cards in my bag.

Get a big card is essentially the message

Hi Penny,
I only shoot stills at the moment. I tend to keep my cards small out of habit - 4GB. Should anything go wrong with the card, I've then lost less images & they're cheaper to replace. Not happened to me yet, just advice I read years ago in a magazine & have kept the habit on.

With regard to Chris's comments, Frank's post in this thread may be of a little interest to you Penny: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=164451&highlight=facts+cards

If you shoot RAW I'd say an 16GB card would be the minimum. 4GB gives you only 150 or so RAW shots.

I have a 16GB UDMA card (Transcend, a bit cheaper than SanDisk) and a couple of older slower 8GB spares I used with my old 400D.

If you are into BIFs and shoot in bursts you'll be amazed how many shots you can rack up in a short time. Other than when I've been using video I've filled the 16GB card on only 2 or 3 occasions and BIFs were the culprit.

If you don't use much video or don't shoot in bursts and use JPEG not RAW 4 or 8GB would be OK.

I would echo what Chris & Stu say.

A fast write-speed card of 16gb+ will get the best out of your camera & despite your feelings now you will probably find yourself also shooting video -so cards fill up quickly! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back