• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Probably a daft question.. but? (1 Viewer)

falconer2406

Hi All,
Currently use a canon 350d and its been great as a start up camera, however i am now looking to progress with another camera and wish to stick with canon. My dilema is that i cant work out the sequence to Canons range and therefore baffled as to what to go for. I appreciate that the 450D and the new 550d are superior to the 350 but were in the line up does something like the 40D or 50D or for that matter the 5D fit in, does it all follow a logical path that im failing to see? It seems to run single numbers 5D double 50D and then triple 550D but which is the best, for instance is a used 50D better than a new 550D. Any advice much appreciated please.
Falconer

In general it is single figure is better than double figure is better than triple figure but many would disagree.
When Thomas is asking what you want it for I suspect it's because he knows simple quality is no longer as simple as it was!

James

Well, the reason I asked was that if you will be using it for macro, landscape, and portrait photography, go for the full censor 5D2. But if you need speed (fast frame rate and fast AF) for action and wildlife photography, you should go for the 7D or the 50D. Or even better the 1D4. That said, I'm sure you can get cracking results with the 550D. I'm still using a 40D for birds and wildlife and 350D for macro, portrait, and landscape. And though I would love a 7D and A 5D2, more glass and a better flash gun are much higher on my wish list.

Thomas

Well, the reason I asked was that if you will be using it for macro, landscape, and portrait photography, go for the full censor 5D2. But if you need speed (fast frame rate and fast AF) for action and wildlife photography, you should go for the 7D or the 50D. Or even better the 1D4. That said, I'm sure you can get cracking results with the 550D. I'm still using a 40D for birds and wildlife and 350D for macro, portrait, and landscape. And though I would love a 7D and A 5D2, more glass and a better flash gun are much higher on my wish list.

Thomas

Thanks Thomas the new body would primarily be for bird photography, using at the moment a bigma lens but also looking to upgarde that in a month or so to the canon 100-400 or 400mm prime ?

Well, I use the 100-400L IS with my 40D for birding and wildlife, and it's a great combo. But that said, I would like the 7D instead. However, I prefer to save up for the 300/2.8L IS instead. Though that may well be some time off in the future due to the combination of a baby on the way |:d| - and the 2yr pay freeze for the public sector :-C

Thomas

Well, I use the 100-400L IS with my 40D for birding and wildlife, and it's a great combo. But that said, I would like the 7D instead. However, I prefer to save up for the 300/2.8L IS instead. Though that may well be some time off in the future due to the combination of a baby on the way |:d| - and the 2yr pay freeze for the public sector :-C

Thomas[/QUOT

Thanks for advice further research tells me that i would very much like a 7D but at this juncture probably overkill for the usage i would get out of it. I am therefore deciding between a new 550D or second hand 40/50D predominatly for general bird photography both on patch visits, reserves etc and also using a hide with a tripod. Does anyone have an opinion re the choices please?
Keith

I think that you will find the faster frame rate and not least the deeper buffer of the 40D/50D very, very useful, plus the ergonomics and AF are better too. So I would go for one of these. I am (as said above) very happy with the 40D and would only switch it for a 7D or better, but the 50D (which I have never used) seems to be a slightly better camera in many ways.

Thomas

Many thanks one and all a 50D it will be then theres seems to be plenty about on ebay and the like. Now anyone selling a 100-400mm??

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back