• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first snow bunting. (1 Viewer)

Ant

North Wales birder
hi all,
This morning, whilst going to get something out of the garage, i saw a bird in my naighboughs hawthorn tree, and It was not one of the usual visitors, then it suddenly occured to me, snow bunting, I already had a good idea of what they look like, and upon cheaking my suspitions where confermed.

ant

Nice one, that's something I've yet to see. There seems to be more winter visitors than you realise, someone at work has described seeing something which very much resembles a great grey shrike last week. I showed her a picture and says it was what she saw.
Providing the weather is good I'll get out and about at weekends but not if it's wet. It's the only way I'll get to se anything.

Hi Ant, Sounds like your one up on Chris AND me! It's not fair Chris he's only a young'n!! Congratulations Ant, well spotted!!

Lucky for your workmate too Chris, what is it that you and I are doing wrong then?????

Sue

Britner said:
hi all,
This morning, whilst going to get something out of the garage, i saw a bird in my naighboughs hawthorn tree, and It was not one of the usual visitors, then it suddenly occured to me, snow bunting, I already had a good idea of what they look like, and upon cheaking my suspitions where confermed.

ant
Hi Ant,
Good one!!
We've seen them on the shore between New Brighton and Hoylake,got quite close to them too and they are gorgeous!!!!
Well done......no Waxwings yet?
Best wishes,

Hi Ant Good sighting mate, the only ones Ive ever seen were on the summit of Ben Nevis there was a group of abour eight of them up there, it was summer so only small patches of snow on summit. It made the climb well worth while. it was anyway, easy but long and high well worth the effort. Advice dont attempt it in winter it is sub artic up that high and dangerous.
Good Birding PeterK

1st Snow Bunting

Britner said:
hi all,

ant

Hi Ant. What a luvly find. I've only ever seen one. It was all alone on the sand dunes near Dunbar a few weeks ago. It made my day. Keep your eyes peeled for the Waxwings. They are being reported in my home town Bradford and the surrounding area so it probably won't be long before they get to north Wales. Roy

hi all,

I have come up with a new birding theory.

If you seek a bird, you travel far and wide, high and low, and, still you cannot find it Afterwards, you discover that it had spent your entire serch in your garden, and left 5 minutes before you arrived home.

However, if its a bird that you are not looking for, you will most likey find it in the most unexpected place, a example of the latter is this snow bunting, i wasnt looking for them and one just happened to turn up in my garden.

Sue & Terry said:
Hi Ant, Sounds like your one up on Chris AND me! It's not fair Chris he's only a young'n!! Congratulations Ant, well spotted!!

Lucky for your workmate too Chris, what is it that you and I are doing wrong then?????

Sue
Hi, Sue.
The thing is I hate getting wet. Most of my bird spotting comes when I walk the dogs which unfortunately for them doesn't happen when it's raining. The other times would be when I'm out on my bike, which is not so often during the winter. One solution would be to take a walk during my lunch break because work is a good place for birds but I'd feel strange for some reason. I have more time off for Christmas this year so all being well I can get out.

I'd love to see snow buntings.I never have but I live in hope as birds can turn up almost anywhere.The reason is ,they don't read the books that say they shouldn't be there.
I read a book once. maurice

Chris-Leeds said:
Hi, Sue.
The thing is I hate getting wet. Most of my bird spotting comes when I walk the dogs which unfortunately for them doesn't happen when it's raining. The other times would be when I'm out on my bike, which is not so often during the winter. One solution would be to take a walk during my lunch break because work is a good place for birds but I'd feel strange for some reason. I have more time off for Christmas this year so all being well I can get out.

Hi Chris,

I see what you mean about the rain at least though I quite like it - IF I'm properly dressed. We're a LOT further down and rarely get the chance to see them anyway. I think I know what you mean about your lunch break walks, but it's such a shame that other folk make us feel that way, though are there more of us who wish to 'come out' (....in a manner of speaking??!), more at your work place for instance???? Go on Chris, be a devil and head the trend!!

If we get the chance to go up to Scotland and see the snow on the mountains this winter then I think Terry and I'll scale Ben Nevis to see if there's one up there!!! Terry's got a wicked fear of heights, but it would be a FIRST for us, isn't that the important thing - isn't it? :eek!: Best wishes for some Chris.

Sue

I did have a walk today at work for the first time and I've worked there just over 6 years. It was quite surprising that I saw a part of somewhere so close to home I'd not seen before. I'll do it more often now. There wasn't much to see apart from a couple of magpies, a crow, a woodpigeon and some long tailed tits but it was nice and sunny.

Good for you Chris! Keep it up though as who knows what's next, a flock of Snow Buntings maybe? Ok just a thought, though at least they'll find a healthy Birder!

Thanks, though not so healthy this morning. Night out on the town and now dealing with the after effects but all being well I'll be out tomorrow. Walk first then maybe on the bike in the afternoon. Actually it's not morning anymore but it feels that way.B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back