• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tufted Duck (1 Viewer)

jeff

Is this a tufted duck or some sort of hyrib?

It had the tufts so guess def. tufted, but it had white patches either side of the bill and a white crescent patch on the breast.

Never seen one like this before.

Cheers

Jeff

Attachments

• tufted.jpg
    tufted.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 256
I'd say it's probably a female Tufty...they tend to have variable amounts of white, particularly around the bill area, reminiscent of Scaup.

Regards,

M Cowming said:
I'd say it's probably a female Tufty...they tend to have variable amounts of white, particularly around the bill area, reminiscent of Scaup.

Regards,

Thanks,

I though f.tufted duck, i've seen them with the white round the bill before, but never the white breast band, so thought i'd just check.

Cheers

Jeff

I imagine it is just a tuftie, not some hybrid, but I don't recall ever seeing one with a breast band like that, has anyone else seen this before? Its almost goldeneye like (even the two white dots either side of the bill!) has there been a recorded incedent of these two hybridising?

timmyjones said:
yep female tuftie says so in me collins book (mullarney svensson zetterstrom grant)

Timmy you are a cheeky monkey.

Would agree on the breast/neckband - never seen that before. The white above the bill I have seen lots of times.

Any more pics of it?

GV

Ghostly Vision said:
Timmy you are a cheeky monkey.

Would agree on the breast/neckband - never seen that before. The white above the bill I have seen lots of times.

Any more pics of it?

GV

I'll have a quick look tonight, think i took a couple of shots before they all took to the air (prob. all the same head-on shots though), never managed to locate it again after that.

Jeff

jeff said:
I'll have a quick look tonight, think i took a couple of shots before they all took to the air (prob. all the same head-on shots though), never managed to locate it again after that.

Jeff

Not very good, but here you go, it was on the move.

Attachments

• tufted2.jpg
    tufted2.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 125
  • tufted3.jpg
    tufted3.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 130
jeff said:
Not very good, but here you go, it was on the move.

It wasnt at Coton Lakes, Warks was it Jeff? There is a bird like this there, where the white breast band is actually a bit of plastic litter. Had me fooled for a while.....

Cheers,

Tom

Tom,

Yep, it was at Coton Lakes. That'll prob. explain it then :)

Cheers

Jeff

Periwinkle said:
It wasnt at Coton Lakes, Warks was it Jeff? There is a bird like this there, where the white breast band is actually a bit of plastic litter. Had me fooled for a while.....

Cheers,

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back