• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (15 Viewers)

Adult Mediterranean Gull flew east over Worsbrough Reservoir at 12.25 today. On the state of moult quite possibly the Old Moor bird. Also female Lesser Spotted Woodpecker showing fairly well (details on the Barnsley blog).

Was thrilled with a garden first for me this morning - a male blackcap. Stayed around for some time, feeding on the inside of a coconut half. Takes garden tick list to 36 species.

Cracking day out with Keith. We started out at Long Nab, a new site for both of us. Thanks to excellent info from the Scarborough Birders fb page we soon found the right spot for our goal. After speaking to a couple of birders on site we decided to venture down the side of the stubble field north of the seawatching hut.

As I was setting up my scope Keith located first one and then another Lapland Bunting. Lifer for him and a Yorkshire tick for me. Managed to attract the attention of some fellow birders and thankfully all were eventually able to see the birds. They were quite tricky to get onto as they moved about through the ploughed stubble but it soon became apparent there were at least 5 birds. We were still well chuffed.

Things got easier after that. We headed for Holbeck and managed to score Med Gull on a chimney pot before arriving at the car park. On parking up there was a second and then a third bird. Easy peasy. The only minor disappointment was the absence of pies at the butty wagon but Keith did enjoy an excellent cheese and onion sarnie. The run of luck continued at Forge Valley were we quickly scored two or three Marsh Tits. Another car tick. I might even start a list :)

Off to the viewpoint at Wykeham and managed a few Yellowhammers on the way. There were a very affable bunch of birders already there. As we were setting up one happened to say, jokingly, that they were due for the 2 o' clock matinee. Having been put onto a couple of Buzzards that were perched up we thought that was a good start. Got my scope on them and then, having looked away, I noticed they had taken to the air. As we watched them a call went out. Gos, not just one but three, although I was only following one in my scope. A fairly brief view but when I looked at the time I was amazed to note it was exactly 2 o' clock! Things went a bit quite as the sun played hide and seek but we decided to stick it out until 3. After a couple of false alarms another bird was picked up and boy did that perform well. High above the ridge opposite it proceeded to execute the best roller coaster display I've ever seen.

Sated and all targets met we called it a day and headed home. Fantastic day and thanks Keith

Cracking day out with Keith. We started out at Long Nab, a new site for both of us. Thanks to excellent info from the Scarborough Birders fb page we soon found the right spot for our goal. After speaking to a couple of birders on site we decided to venture down the side of the stubble field north of the seawatching hut.

As I was setting up my scope Keith located first one and then another Lapland Bunting. Lifer for him and a Yorkshire tick for me. Managed to attract the attention of some fellow birders and thankfully all were eventually able to see the birds. They were quite tricky to get onto as they moved about through the ploughed stubble but it soon became apparent there were at least 5 birds. We were still well chuffed.

Things got easier after that. We headed for Holbeck and managed to score Med Gull on a chimney pot before arriving at the car park. On parking up there was a second and then a third bird. Easy peasy. The only minor disappointment was the absence of pies at the butty wagon but Keith did enjoy an excellent cheese and onion sarnie. The run of luck continued at Forge Valley were we quickly scored two or three Marsh Tits. Another car tick. I might even start a list :)

Off to the viewpoint at Wykeham and managed a few Yellowhammers on the way. There were a very affable bunch of birders already there. As we were setting up one happened to say, jokingly, that they were due for the 2 o' clock matinee. Having been put onto a couple of Buzzards that were perched up we thought that was a good start. Got my scope on them and then, having looked away, I noticed they had taken to the air. As we watched them a call went out. Gos, not just one but three, although I was only following one in my scope. A fairly brief view but when I looked at the time I was amazed to note it was exactly 2 o' clock! Things went a bit quite as the sun played hide and seek but we decided to stick it out until 3. After a couple of false alarms another bird was picked up and boy did that perform well. High above the ridge opposite it proceeded to execute the best roller coaster display I've ever seen.

Sated and all targets met we called it a day and headed home. Fantastic day and thanks Keith

Glad you got everything, I went 2 weeks ago and the weather was horrific at long nab, the buntings weren't reported all day and I did 2 laps of the stubble field. It felt like doing cross country back at school! I did get brilliant views of Gos and the BT diver was still at the fishing lakes.

I'm tempted to have another go this weekend as there are a couple of gypo geese there now as well.

Ldv??

Don't know this place, can someone enlighten me, sounds a good location and i want to try a few different locations this year.

Thanks
Damian

LDV is the lower derwent valley. Various sites to park and view. If you check out the First Tyke meet thread there are some details of several sites within and what was around in January.

Back Garden

Doing well today-Yellowhammer visited this morning-the Reed Bunting seem to have taken up residence again, and I'm watching a nice Buzzard overhead.Working nights does have it's compensations. Now all I need is the Barn Owl at work again.

Migration news

well...re myself! Am now in sunny Brid! Buckton today very windy,but seabirds prospecting cliffs, and large flock of yellowhammers/linnets/corn bunts/reed bunts/skylarks in clifftop fields. Brief visit from hawk, but no owls today!

Attachments

• sparrowhawk25.jpg
    sparrowhawk25.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 142
Not that I am aware of mate

Thank you Keith

I am going to Whitby on Friday and I will have 5 hours Saturday to go with camera, Bins, Scope etc

I hope to drive about 5 - 10 miles max to a spot, its looking like a walk at grosmont to see what is bouncing around.

Do you know of a more area specific blog etc other than those popping up with "whitby birding" as I am exhaustively searching on google.

Many thanks again

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back