• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Got Cardinal ? (1 Viewer)

spruce

If not I think I have enough for everyone :-O

There were up to 12 males and 6 females out there at one time today.

Last edited:
Vectis Birder said:
I visited the USA for the first (and hopefully not last) time last year. A male cardinal I saw was my favourite bird of the trip.

Stayed with my brothers family in Florida. My favorite the Roseate spoonbill followd by the red shouldered hawk - I did love the cardinal as wel as my favorite colour is red

Spruce, your yard looks very festive with the bright red birds! I'd love a couple for my own yard - can you ship them my way???! :D

Very nice Spruce. I've had 5 Cardinals and 3 Pyrrhuloxias in the yard at once, but never this many! Wish I had the trees you do.

Spruce, I've also noticed a marked increase in their numbers with females outnumbering males by 3 to 1 or more. I'd imagine our weather has a great deal to do with the increase....

lj

every summer theres one pair around my house, but in winter ive witnessed 3 or more males and females congagating.

Crowded Feeder

The cardinals are common to us here in Mississippi. The varience in the females is interesting to me, but the male is so striking he can't be ignored.

My feeder is crowded with cardinals, goldfinches, several different sparrows, plus a mockingbird or two, bluejays, redbellied woodpeckers, and wrens. I have even seen a robin, a wood thrush, and a towhees on the feeder! First time I have seen a robin there.

The robins have been here for 3 weeks. So many of them that they are a nuisance right now. I caught them eating the berries off of a nandina bush.

I've noticed alot of cardinals in my backyard too this winter. Don't know if it's because I chopped up some dried cranberries to mix with the seed or not. Last week when it was so cold and no snow on the ground I saw about 30 robins sitting on my neighbors frozen pool cover. Poor guys were so cold they looked like red breasted soft balls! I took some hot water out to the birdbath, broke the ice and filled it. It looked like a roman bath house! And yes I admit, for a minute I wondered if I would awake the next morning to find frozen birds all over the yard.... come to think of it I haven't seen that many since and we do have snow on the ground now. Uh Oh

LindaW said:
I've noticed alot of cardinals in my backyard too this winter. Don't know if it's because I chopped up some dried cranberries to mix with the seed or not. Last week when it was so cold and no snow on the ground I saw about 30 robins sitting on my neighbors frozen pool cover. Poor guys were so cold they looked like red breasted soft balls! I took some hot water out to the birdbath, broke the ice and filled it. It looked like a roman bath house! And yes I admit, for a minute I wondered if I would awake the next morning to find frozen birds all over the yard.... come to think of it I haven't seen that many since and we do have snow on the ground now. Uh Oh

The robins arrived here in central Mississippi about 2-3 weeks ago. A flock of a hundred or more birds roosted in my holly hedge and in the tall loblolly pines for several days before most moved on. I don't think I have ever seen a robin on the feeder before this week and I didn't actually seen it feeding, just perched there. The feeder is very crowded right now. I feed a commercial mix that I blend with extra sunflower seeds. I also hang suet on the old fashioned hand made hopper type feeder. I put a flower clay pot in the window box and sit a matching saucer sitting on top of it and fill it with seeds. The cardinal and wrens will come to it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back