• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do Nikon zoom eyepieces fit PF-65EDA II? (1 Viewer)

valdi99

Hi birding mates,
I've red somwhere that Nikon Fieldscope eyepieces (older 20-45x and newer 20-60x) fit to Pentax PF-65ED scope... Are there any modifications required? What is outer diameter of the mount of Nikon zoom eps?

Hi valdi99

Do you already own one of these? If not, I would advise you not to bother since their narrow AFOV is well-known. I have the older and smaller and I am very content with its performance except for that.

From what I have understood, there exists astro adapters for Nikon Fieldscope eyepieces. In fact, I consider getting a 27x/40x/50x (~10 mm) to use with my Pentax scope, and then I will need such an adapter.

//L

http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/scopes/mc/spec.htm

No, they're similar. The Nikon MC zooms have a FOV of 35 meters at 20x with the Fieldscope III.
And, like I said, they are not bad. Some people have problems with the eye relief, but I find it acceptable even when wearing spectacles.

But why would you want to buy one of them and fit to a Pentax? If I wanted a zoom for my PF-65EDAII I would get a Celestron or a William Optics Zoom II, although I already have the Nikon zoom.
This is not criticism, I'm only curious.

Nikon zoom ep seems to be better over Pentax XF - smaller & lighter, better (or at least same) IQ and cheaper. And 17m vs 35m @20x is quite significant difference, isn't it?

Last edited:
Nikon zoom ep seems to be better over Pentax XF - smaller & lighter, better (or at least same) IQ and cheaper. And 17m vs 35m @20x is quite significant difference, isn't it?

Uhm... you have to swap the numbers. 17 meters is at 60x, while it's 38 m at 20x.
So the XF is just a smidgeon wider. :t:

Last edited:
Uhm... you have to swap the numbers

You're right... But still - 2 or 3 meters of FOV is almost nothing and there are still some factors for Nikon over XF ep. However, I didn't decided yet, I am just looking around for possibly better zoom. And my PF-65EDAII is still somewhere on an USPS truck... When it will arrive it may appear I will be happy enough with XF zoom :)

PS
I am a birder and bird photographer, so I've been using for some years a photo lens (300mm/F2.8, 120mm diameter of entry lens!) as a scope - with dedicated Pentax eyepiece (30x). Image quality was great but it was a straight scope and rather heavy. I am really tied to Pentax and Nikon, because of quality of optics at a moderate price.

Last edited:
You should try the BST Explorer Dual ED 12 mm that gives 32,5x magnification with the scope. Or the 15 mm, I heard it is nice too. I have the 18 mm and like it too.
They cost £36 :t:

Changing the eyepieces with this scope is done nearly as quick as you turn a zoom ring, and fixed focal lengths will provide a wider FOV.
So now when you own the XF zoom, my advise is to stick with it and complement it with a nice fixed e/p.

//L

I am really tied to Pentax and Nikon, because of quality of optics at a moderate price.

I fully resonate with this. However, both companies are so large that they have a vast selection to choose from, and all their products are not cherries.
This is expected. Why should they offer a cheaper range that is as good as their more expensive?

This is where the Chinese brands come in, offering some great optics at the fraction of the price for the alphas. Now they seem to get serious about scopes as well.
Yep, my BST Explorer Dual ED 12mm just arrived today ;) Anyway, many thanks for your valuable suggestions!

"That's a wonderful choice!" (Quote: Sean Penn as Sam Dawson in "I Am Sam")

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back