• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Today, southern Ontario (Peterborough area) (1 Viewer)

cavan wood

These are almost impossibly horrible shots for this type of ID (pocket camera through binos through windows 30 m away) but, is this gal at least a potential candidate?

As you can see, she is noticibly whiter and less heavily streaked on the sides. The rump seemed pure white through the bins, although the views weren't crippling. I couldn't get a look at the UTCs nor was I close enough to judge the bill.

Thanks,
Scott
p.s. ignore the black blobs - dirt in the camera

Attachments

• hore 20130202 1edit.jpg
    hore 20130202 1edit.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 114
  • hore 20130202 3edit.jpg
    hore 20130202 3edit.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 150
  • hore 20130202 4edit.jpg
    hore 20130202 4edit.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 77
  • hore 20130202 8edit.jpg
    hore 20130202 8edit.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
That rump certainly looks interesting!...If I were you, I would ''seed'' the area hoping for the bird to return, then wait for a better shot...and or get another interested party round with a bigger lens?

cheers

That's almost certainly a hoary, it's just a question of whether you feel comfortable calling it. You're far enough north that it isn't a particularly rare bird, any reasonably large flock of redpolls likely has a couple.

That's almost certainly a hoary, it's just a question of whether you feel comfortable calling it. You're far enough north that it isn't a particularly rare bird, any reasonably large flock of redpolls likely has a couple.

Thanks guys. I was able to pick it out of the flock on two separate occassions, so I think I'm fairly confident.

Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back