• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monarch 7 8x30 VS Ell 8x30 - Christmas for my mother (1 Viewer)

Rathaus

I'm looking at the monarch 7, 8x30 for my mother. No spectacles required. The size and fov and convenience/price is right. Loving basic photography, She's really getting into binoculars as a live view alternative for enjoyment.

I've looked through the 10x30 and was astonished a how good they were ...though I'm not a fan of such a scrawny exit pupil...even for just the non ease of view.

I haven't looked through the 8x30 but they would seem on the money.

I'm a big fan of and have the 8x30 Ell and the 10x35 Ell, so was wondering how these monarch 7 compare. Am I just going to loose a touch of brightnes, fov, and dof by going to the smaller roofs?...but gain compactness and water resistance?

Cheers,
Rathaus

Rathaus,
If the Monarch 7 8x30 performs similar to the almost similar Kite Lynx 8x30 I would not dream one moment to take the 8x30EII. The Monarchs are much better in smaller hands (it was for your mother I understand?), they are waterproof and the FOV is almost the same. If the Monarch performs similar to the Lynx (both are made by Kamakura.) the Monarch will also be brighter then the Nikon EII simply because the light transmission is higher.
Gijs

As Gijs said, and add the balance of ergos to your choice. Twist-up eyecups and tethered objective lens covers with the NM7, nice case with the EII.

Best wishes,

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back