• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oly 300mm F4 - My First Pics (1 Viewer)

Omd Mkii 300f4 Pro

Iv not had much time with the camera as of yet but happy so far .
Rob.

Attachments

• P4180206--SMALL.jpg
    P4180206--SMALL.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 375
Hey Rob, didn't realize you had joined the Olympians. ;)
Still getting LOTS of use out of my souped up Lensmaster RH-1, even with just the 400/5.6 on my E-M1 II, like this portrait of one of our new tenants...
33767842710_f4c7985d80_c.jpg
100% crop from about 10 meters.
With my 600mm scope it is a must and a life saver. From two days ago...
33985140112_cf239619e3_b.jpg
April? Yeah, right....

wow that is a close up pleased the Lensmaster RH1 is doing the job :)
Yes iv joined the Olympus club too for when I don't wont the big kit to lug around I mostly use a Lensmaster T1 with this setup on a mono pod as it keeps everything light weight happy so far just need more time .
Rob.

Yes that seems to work, I have a 4" spike on my Monopod as every where I go is either sand or mud so I stick it in the ground then I can use the horizontal rotation of the T1 as well as the vertical and of cause my hands are free for my cup of coffee :)
Rob.

Last edited:
Yes, I can see it working with a spike. I have a spike on the end of mine as well, and it really helps to have it stuck in the ground, even if it is just a tad.
I came up with the idea on Mull. We were walking along Loch Torr and spotted a pair of Sea Eagles on the other side, about 300-350 meters away. I popped the 2x TC on my 400/5.6 and tried to get a shot, but there was nothing to lean against, nothing to sit on, and I had no tripod. No chance! But I did find a forked stick that had broken off of some tree, so I quickly stuck it in the ground, rested the lens barrel in the fork and was at least able to get this:
20271710518_64dddbfce0_o.jpg
about a 100% crop
Clip.jpg
On the way back to our cabin I found a better one that I carved into shape with my pocket knife and carried it all over Mull, Lewis, Harris and Skye for the next three weeks. It is still in Staffin. It was too long to take on the plane and I didn't want to cut it up out of pure sentimentality..;)

I found a Gimbal worked well on a monopod but my problem was things are soon too heavy for me now,i ended up using a V holder on top of the monopod as a quick support.

One thing i did do is fix a camera strap to the top of the monopod and use it like a black rapid strap across my chest,this means if i see a quick shot i want hand held i can drop the monopod and it hangs by my side.

Nothing new. Been around for hundreds of years as a rifle support.

Also, not sure it would be good to rest the extended barrel of a zoom lens on a support like this.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back