• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Drawings from Catherine Hamilton (1 Viewer)

excellent studies - I think the notch contributes to a quite distinctive personality that sanderlings have.

I am still working in the land of the dead over here in NYC, so it has been quite a breath of fresh air (literally) to pop over and catch up on threads. I have been out birding, at least, so the mothball suffocation has been mitigated a bit...but the drawings I'm working on are still from skins. They're studies for larger pieces, but some I might exhibit as they stand.

On another note, the colors in the plumages of a bird in hand are truly awesome, deceased or no! I've been learning a lot!!

A couple more sketches - true to "life" but not necessarily easily identifiable ;)

Attachments

• warblers_01.jpg
    warblers_01.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 92
  • avocet02.jpg
    avocet02.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 72
Just beautiful.
Every time I log into birdforum I scan down the list first hoping your name is there! Love the blurry photo landscapes too, and the ethereal heron, and the...
Paul

The warbler I don't know, my US bird ID skills are negligible, but I'll put in a punt for avocet chick? Either way the studies are gorgeous.

Mike

The warbler I don't know, my US bird ID skills are negligible, but I'll put in a punt for avocet chick? Either way the studies are gorgeous.

Mike

Well I thought I knew my warblers, at least the eastern ones, fairly well. But I'm not used to looking at them upside down, or if I am it's only to see a small section. But my guess would be: Common Yellowthroat and Mourning, which I've never seen, on either end. The bird in middle looks more like an oriole to me so I'd guess a female Northern Oriole. The orange in middle one of course makes me think Blackburnian but nothing else seems right so I'll stick with an oriole.

But this is not a Diabolical Bird ID quiz so I'll stop the guessing game and just say that they do resonate with color.

Ah, I see from your blog that you've identified them there. I had thought about the first one being that rather than a Common Yellowthroat. But the middle one I never would have guessed. That red herring color.

Last edited:
stunningly bright work - I think my watercolours need to have a look on this thread so they can see where they're going wrong!

always such a sense of light in everything you do, and you write equally as well so your blog is a joy to read....the Audubon connection was very poetic.

Oh dear, I have been away for quite a while - Hello all! I have some catching up to do! In short, I have been on the road, driving across the US to look for birds, for almost 70 days now. I have an exhibit opening here in the States, perhaps I will post an image of the card here tomorrow.

Here is a drawing I did while in Texas, a few studies of a Barred Owl that sat out nicely one day. It is in ink on paper, and fairly small - about 9 x 5".

Attachments

• barred_01.jpg
    barred_01.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 104
Wonderful owls! Good luck with the exhibition. Wow - 70 days on the road takes endurance - I know having in 2002 done a 9,000-mile (5-week) motorcycle trip across Canada and back across the US. Tremendous memories and a bucket list item checked off, but we were glad to be back in our own bed by the end of the trip!

Hello -

Thank you all for the warm return welcomes. I am going through as many of the fabulous threads as I can - wish I had more time right now. If another flight to the East Coast gets delayed or canceled due to storms, I will get even deeper into the postings today!

I am putting up my invite images, on the very wee chance that anyone interested is in the Boston, MA, USA area from Jan 16th to May 15. I would be orchestrating the hanging today if I weren't grounded due to weather!

Warm regards,
Catherine

Attachments

• Postcard-front-draft.jpg
    Postcard-front-draft.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Postcard-back.jpg
    Postcard-back.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 65
Wow - looks absolutely brilliant Catherine - so wish I could be there! Again - very best of luck for this show. Please post as many links/reviews here as you can.
Hope you get to hang it in time . . .

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back