• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GREETINGS...Introducing myself to this Forum (1 Viewer)

Hi All...Thanks for the feedback..I am glad You enjoyed stopping by,,It seems like ,besides the sketches,the winner of the day was the name of the series.."Agachadiza",..It is a wonderful word,indeed,comes from the spanish verb "Agachar",wich literally means to Bend Down,or to Stoop,and ina familiar way to go into hide....bécassine is also a very nice word,close to our catalan name,"becadell"....
No more skeches for now,since i am working in some oil pieces..back and forth with a Gosh piece in large format (130x98cm),that is going well,but shows nothing in pictures yet..and also some more Capsigranys,..Ill try to photgraph some of these later,

Dear Steve!!..Marry Christmas!..Nice to see You stop by!..Do You like these Works?..Im so glad...We are fine,Spain is home after all,..It has been fun to see my kids get to learn Spanish and Catalan ( local Language),without loosing english,in only ONE year..kids are amazing!!!!...although I miss birding,I was more active in the USA,had Birder friends and did all the Christmas Bird Counts!!!!We did four in New Mexico every year,and It was magnificient..I miss that State..!!.
Happy Holidays again...

Capsigrany(Alcaudon Comun)

Since I am already here,Ill upload one picture of a bird that I did today,..It is another Oil ,of the Capsigrany series,...It is actually painted on the same Board that the other capsigrany , a medium size piece,about 50x75cm..It probably needs more work,to define some of the feather groups on the wings ,but I like what I have now,as far as Painting goes.This was a very fast study.
I guess ill keep adding studies to the composition.It could be fun to keep some very large works going ,and fill them with small details..Maybe I can found a gallery to show some of these works!!.Ill post a picture of the actual full piece later on...

Attachments

• IMG_2737.JPG
    IMG_2737.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Thanks for the nice welcome Manuel!! I miss "talking" to you. Merry Christmas to you my friend. Yes I like your works of art, I think I remember you used your Nikon 50ED to do this some but I never realized you were so good. I remember you helped with hawk banding etc., that is if I remember right.;) I still plan to get a Nikon 50ED spotter pretty soon from the place with the OTA only. I am glad you are happy back in Spain and that you and your kids are adjusting so well, after all it is all about family.

Estudio de Gavilan

Hey , Hi again...And Thanks for keep checking,appreciate all the visits and comments....
Today I am pretty happy with the work I did last afternoon,and before I go back to it,decided to take a couple shots,and stop by to post them...
A few days ago,I got pretty lost in a large painting,that I am planning to do ,and decided that I need to study these birds a bit better and plan my course of action...I was working in this painting ,pretty much from memory ,using many pictures as reference but improvising posture and volume as I go..I am excited about ,because soem areas were really working,but I got lost,and before I go back to It, I want to have really figured what I want to do!....so I am now back to the sketch book,to develop a couple of studies,trying to figure how to represent all the barring in an accurate way,loose but consistent with feather pattern and disposition...im far from any success,but I felt very good in this last study.
What I like is the feeling of the work getting developed,achieving little ,subtle gains while I go back and forth.I am working with sepia and black ink,white watercolor ,and a bit of white acrylic to cover and seal some areas..So far Im satisfyed with the way this is going,and although the study needs things,and some things are not quite right,some other things i really like.Exciting Anyway..

Attachments

• IMG_2768.JPG
    IMG_2768.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2773.JPG
    IMG_2773.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2771.jpg
    IMG_2771.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Terrific work - all. Really like the shrike; great pose and colour. Powerful piece of work.

Have to agree with Tim. And it's nice to see you getting more and more involved with your work. It's an unusual, at least to me, combination of media. But you've made it your own.

Hi there...Tim Thanks
..Ken,the result on this hawk study,is a bit rough,maybe due to the combination of transparent and opaque areas,I dont Know If thats what You meant.. I dont really like to use acrilyc too much !..I dont like that plastic finish....but is good enough for these experiments
Still working in some accipiter studies,...nothing much for a couple days,really..but I manage to get a nice little study of a head,in a small piece of paper..Unfortunately ,there is not enough room to develop the whole bird,....But I really like the proportions and specially the expression of the bird...maybe I do some collage,.

Hey...I am back..I actually DID some collage..well not really collage,just glued together two pieces of paper ,salvaged from discarded sketches, and continued the sketch of this accipiter,as intended..not finished in the staged im showing,but close..One problem I have is ..I am not sure If the plumage Im showing is really Sparrowhawk at All!!!!..It shows an inmature bird,but I am now in doubt of if the reference images I used(composite of head,and body)are consistent with this species in any of its plumages...I know they can be very variable,but..Help and opinions in this point would be great..In any case,I like the painting,and had a great time,..So "Mistery Accipiter",it is...

Attachments

• IMG_2776.JPG
    IMG_2776.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2779.JPG
    IMG_2779.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Hello...
Hope You all had a nice Christmas Day,..
Today I want to post a couple of pictures,before I forget
.First Is a photo,of the last study I posted,the Unknown Accip,after a couple of last touches that I did, and before I put it away...It needs a couple of things, some work in the legs/talons mainly, but I feel like is enough and dont even want to look at it for a while,until I completely loose interest in it,so I am sure not to keep working on it !!!....I am still not too sure if the kind of barring I made is consistent with the sparrowhak I had in mind(juvenile fem.)but dont really care too much..I think there is a sparrowhawk In Australia that might be more like my drawing!!!..
Last Night I did also some work in a couple pieces,and a Harrier study started to gain some presence,so I worked on it a bit this morning.Started with a couple reference photos of "Circus Cyaneus"(I get mixed with American and European names for this bird !!),but then the color shifted a bit towards "C.Pygargus"!!!!..now I am not sure which,but it is a Harrier!!!!..still working on it, and I like it quite a lot. I will Work in the full figure bird,adding pieces of paper until I reach the tip of the tail!
By looking at the study in the first stage,I see what i gained in the facial features and developing some depth,but I also see were posture and proportions(subtle,in the neck chest area)start to go a bit off...a great tool this little digital cameras!..not difficult to go back and rescue the areas I like ,mainting this way a good control of the study!!!
I hope to have this guy done in a few more hours..Ill keep posting!

Attachments

• IMG_2794.JPG
    IMG_2794.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2791.JPG
    IMG_2791.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2796.JPG
    IMG_2796.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 48
Hi Mayo,
It's amazing to see someone totally absorbed in and trying out diffrent media. I wish I could do this! Only now, after a couple of years, am I trying new things (line drawings with technical pen). I would like to find something that works and I enjoy using but would create results in a few weeks! An unrealistic view, but perhaps the New Year will inspire me to greater things.

All the best

Russ

I kept working a little after dinner!(Bon Apetit!)...Gosh I love the proportions of these Snipes!..I made a fast sketch ,trying to keep my hand loose ,and my line fluid..So far,this one is now my favorite for the day,and makes the last one I posted look a bit contrived..I shall just edit my last post,change pictures,and no one will notice!..oh well...lets keep both posted...Sweet Dreams!

just catching up, way out of time for this fast moving forum- I really like the way you have slapped in some mid-tone grey on the legs of this snipe

there's a lot of black and white activity on here currently and your work underlines one of the big questions- whether to go with black, white but also some grey wash for things in the middle- or do you stay with pure black and white and use just hatched black and white for those inbetween shades..

.Ken,the result on this hawk study,is a bit rough,maybe due to the combination of transparent and opaque areas,I dont Know If thats what You meant.. I dont really like to use acrilyc too much !..I dont like that plastic finish....but is good enough for these experiments

Hi Mayoayo,

I didn't mean anything critical by my comment on the odd combination of media, just that I myself wouldn't have thought of combining pen and ink and acrylic. But necessity is the mother of invention and you've made the combination your own. It's working very effectively for you.

I very much like the new ones as well.

Ken...I dont think is a very interesting combination,but..as you said,the necessity is mother of invention..Economy of media is a great vitamin to increasy creativity levels..It forces You to look for solutions . Sometimes are good solutions.. but Not All creative solutions are that efficient ..sometimes they look .You know....

Last edited:
Anyway...And talking about economy of media...I did a pencil drawing ..havent used graphite for ages, so I feel pretty rusty..
It was Never a favorite media,but I want to develop the skills and explore tonal possibilities.Good practice anyway

Attachments

• IMG_2799.JPG
    IMG_2799.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back