• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OLY c750 plus eagle 5x lens ??? (1 Viewer)

Shell

Has anyone tried this ? Is there an adapter for this set up ? I'm , of course, wanting more zoom, but not bad pics if this set up isn't going to work . Is there anyone that has tried this or knows of it ? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated ! Right now , I have the B-300 set up with an adapter.

Shell said:
Has anyone tried this ? Is there an adapter for this set up ? I'm , of course, wanting more zoom, but not bad pics if this set up isn't going to work . Is there anyone that has tried this or knows of it ? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated ! Right now , I have the B-300 set up with an adapter.

I have tried this combination. You can get both the lens and a step ring to use with 55mm or 52mm adapters [55mm being the CLA-4, 52mm from various sources including Raynox] from photosolve.com in the USA. There is also a 37mm adapter that can be obtained from 2filter.com. This 37mm simplifies attaching the EE5x to the c-750 as a stepring is not necessary in this case.

Unfortunately you have to use the c-750 at full zoom to avoid vignetting. A bit of vignetting is present even at full zoom. I am attaching a couple of examples: a White-throated Sparrow at about 30 ft from camera and a Common Grackle at about 38ft from the camera:

Attachments

• EE041604wtspa.jpg
    EE041604wtspa.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 360
  • EE041604cgrackle.jpg
    EE041604cgrackle.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
Dacol , thanks so much for helping me out. Your pics are really great, and we can always crop out the unwanted. I appreciate your help and info !!!!!!!

Shell said:
Dacol , thanks so much for helping me out. Your pics are really great, and we can always crop out the unwanted. I appreciate your help and info !!!!!!!

Thanks for your comments regarding the pictures. I got very busy for a couple of months with work, household chores and watching the Spring migration and haven't yet gone out to try to take other photos besides backyard birds on which I tested the set-up.

Since the vignetting is not an excessively large fraction of the picture I think it is better to use a small amount of digital zoom while shooting rather than cropping afterwards (there might be other reasons why one would want to crop, this remarks deals with eliminating the residual vignetting only). This has two advantages: the interpolation done by the camera seems to be a little better than when done in the computer and you can adjust the composition too since you can then play with the whole picture without the vignetting.

Dalcio

Last edited:
Shell said:
Ahhh, that sounds right to me ! Thanks ! Good info too Dacol !

Just one other important detail. I, of course, use a tripod with the EE5x. This is so because of the high total magnification, ie, with the full zoom on the c-750 and the 5x power of the EE one gets an effective SLR equivalent focal lenght of 5x380mm = 1900mm, too much for handheld picture taking!

Dalcio

dacol said:
Just one other important detail. I, of course, use a tripod with the EE5x. This is so because of the high total magnification, ie, with the full zoom on the c-750 and the 5x power of the EE one gets an effective SLR equivalent focal lenght of 5x380mm = 1900mm, too much for handheld picture taking!

Dalcio
How many stops of light does it steal?`

Cheers, Jens.

jebir said:

Cheers, Jens.

I don't know and I can't find out till I take some new pictures as I didn't save the EXIFs in any of the pictures I have taken so far. As you can guess from the photos it does demand well lit targets.

Dalcio

jebir said:

Cheers, Jens.

Probably around 2 stops I'd say - they are OK but not the best really - especially that swirly effect. Still handy if it is pocket sized I guess.

When will a scope / camera combo come along!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is two stops. I used to have the EagleEye 5x which was a decent lens if a bit on the heavy side. With a 3x optical zoom camera at that time it certainly got you closer to the birds, but decent photos were hard going. The technique was more akin to digiscoping as for consistent results a tripod was almost essential. A nice little twist is to add the B300/Tcon17 to the front of the set up. It looks a little strange, but the light gatheing properties of this lens claws back at least one f-stop and maybe a little more.

When used with a 10x optical camera (Olympus C2100UZ) the vignetting was a big problem as it has a wide lens (49mm filter thread). In addition anything over around 2x optical zoom led to very soft images.

With the 10x I get pretty good results with the Olympus B300/Tcon17 1.7x converter used in tandem with the Tcon 14 1.4x converter - though a bit of DIY is needed to UB Weld a filter thread to the front of the Tcon 14. There is some slight image quality loss, but it really gets you in close.

Just the B300/Tcon 17 by itself is very good with no light loss, giving results as good as the prime lens alone.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back