• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Great Horned Owl drawing (2 Viewers)

some beautiful work with some excellent colours, a touch of Carl Rungius in there - which is a wonderful thing!

Thank you all for your comments and taking the time to look. The ELk and Mountain Lion are in progress, there is alot of work left to do on them. I have found that I like to have alot of paintings going at the same time. It helps me think and find soultions when I get hung up on a part of a painting. Carl Rungius, wow what nice thing to say. Love his work, a true master. Something to shoot for, to able to paint as well as he could. Thanks again for looking. JR

Some works in progress, glad there is no deadline for these.... Hope you enjoy and thanks for looking. John

Attachments

• BWT1m.jpg
    BWT1m.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 84
  • RG1m.jpg
    RG1m.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 96
  • M1m.jpg
    M1m.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 80
  • SPE1m.jpg
    SPE1m.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 79
  • AN1m.jpg
    AN1m.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 91
Particularly like the background to the Ruffed Grouse at this stage, forms a nice pattern of stipples and stripes with the different light on the birches - look forward to seeing how it develops. Any chance of seeing how your earlier Varied Thrush turned out, or is it still frozen in time? (I have a couple of 'works in progress' dating back to '98 - they'll get there one day).

Mike

www.michaelcwood.co.uk

Thanks for your comments Mike, I have not touched the Varied Thrush for a while. I will start back on it in November. I've been preparing new boards to work on this winter. I start more paintings than I should, but as of now I have no way to store finished paintings, and it is easier to stack them together unfinished. That way if they get marked up it is easier to repair them. My new studio is yet unheated but when it is finished in a few years I'll have racking to store quite a few paintings safely. Here is a close up of the Ruffed Grouse. The painting is 69" X 46". I'm thinking it needs a diagonal fallen tree below the Grouse. Thanks, John

Attachments

• RG2m.jpg
    RG2m.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 72
Catching up on this thread, and making sure I'm subscribed. Your work is really excellent! I particularly like the Lab, having just lost our two 15 year olds (a chocolate and yellow) within two months of each other.

I know I looked at the recent works in progress a number of times and thought I'd commented. But I see not! In any case nice to see them all. It will be interesting to see how they all develop so keep us posted.

What with all the threads popping up and down i've missed some of these excellent pictures...!

Love the Blue winged Teals...[and that lady in that posting is quite superb...]...:t:

Beautiful....

Recent efforts

Greetings, I don't have much to show except for these new in progress works. I was looking forward to getting alot done this winter but have been slowed by trauma to the eye causing a torn retina. I work with invoices all day and by the time I'm home it is very tiring to look to draw. Makes me value my eyesight all the more. The doctors say the eye should heal/clear up in about six weeks. Seasons Greetings to all! Thanks for looking. John

Attachments

• E1.jpg
    E1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 99
  • WTC%201.jpg
    WTC%201.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 97
Update and some fun

I know I'm slow but a little progress is better than none. The moose is from a Bob Kuhn painting that I would love to own. That will never happen! So I decided to do an interpretation of it for my office. Copying it is not the goal, in my own way I'm taking my hat off to Mr Kuhn. His brush work is amazing, powerful and quick. I wish I could have met him. Thanks for looking, John

Attachments

• E2.jpg
    E2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 50
  • E3.jpg
    E3.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 61
  • WTC2.jpg
    WTC2.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 68
  • M1.jpg
    M1.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 92
Beautiful work John. Intimate, detailed and full of life. Hope the eye is healing well - scary injury for anyone but as an artist it must have been very traumatic.

Wonderful pieces here, John! Best wishes for your eye injury...I hope it comes around quickly and fully. All three of these are expertly rendered - inspiring stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back