Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Thursday 11th April 2013, 19:28   #1
ammadoux
Registered doux
 
ammadoux's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jeddah - Saudi Arabia
Posts: 69,945
the new Olympus 750-300mm for MFT

Hello

here is a review, would like to share with you.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/ol...s-review-21689

i just do not understand how come the new one is 599 USD at amazon, and the old version is 899.99 USD also at amazon.

also i wish they made the MF ring on the near the body side, that is so much better when handheld.
__________________
dulce doux
i love BF
flickr blog
birds of Saudi Arabia
ammadoux is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th April 2013, 02:43   #2
njlarsen
Opus Editor
 
njlarsen's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Portsmouth, Dominica
Posts: 20,241
Regarding price, I think they simply realized the old version was too expensive compared to the competition. I think the relative quality of this lens and the panasonic one is completely up in the air at this time, I would love to see a comparative review.

Niels

I still wish one of them would make a 80-400 in good IQ
__________________
Support bird conservation in the Caribbean: BirdCaribbean
njlarsen is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th April 2013, 04:37   #3
Hor Kee
Penang birder
 
Hor Kee's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Posts: 798
I wish they would make a great 300mm f4! Just a bit off-topic, how well does the electronic and digital 2x teleconverter on Olympus bodies work? Does it crop and upsize images with little degradation in image quality? I ask this as Panny's 150mm 2.8 lens is coming out next year and is by far the longest prime lens available for m43.
Hor Kee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 12th April 2013, 07:40   #4
ammadoux
Registered doux
 
ammadoux's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jeddah - Saudi Arabia
Posts: 69,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hor Kee View Post
I wish they would make a great 300mm f4! Just a bit off-topic, how well does the electronic and digital 2x teleconverter on Olympus bodies work? Does it crop and upsize images with little degradation in image quality? I ask this as Panny's 150mm 2.8 lens is coming out next year and is by far the longest prime lens available for m43.

here is a shot with EPL5 + Lumix 100-300mm + digital tele convector

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...5/ppuser/71763

and here is the same bird form the same distance taken with E5 + Sigma 50-500mm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ammadou...in/photostream

this is a shot with EPL5 + Lumix 100-300mm without the digital TC

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...7/ppuser/71763

personally i found that is i don't really have to i get the shot without the TC at the lowest ISO possible and then crop.

like here

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...8/ppuser/71763

BTW until now i did not get form the EPL5 the same nice results i use to have form the EPL1+lumix 100-300mm.
__________________
dulce doux
i love BF
flickr blog
birds of Saudi Arabia
ammadoux is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th April 2013, 09:40   #5
Jim M.
Choose Civility

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by njlarsen View Post
I think the relative quality of this lens and the panasonic one is completely up in the air at this time, I would love to see a comparative review.
The site linked to reviews both lenses, and gives the Panasonic Lens 4 stars and the Olympus 3 1/2. The Panasonic is also faster at maximum zoom: F5.6 versus F6.7 for the Olympus, so better for low light. I think for bird photography the Panasonic is the better choice.

Here is the review for the Panasonic lens:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/pa...s-review-17763

Jim
__________________
My Micro 4/3 photo gallery:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35716495@N08/albums
Jim M. is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th April 2013, 14:51   #6
Hor Kee
Penang birder
 
Hor Kee's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Posts: 798
Impressive shots! Nice to see that the Oly's upscaling does not adversely affect image quality.
Hor Kee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 12th April 2013, 15:27   #7
ammadoux
Registered doux
 
ammadoux's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jeddah - Saudi Arabia
Posts: 69,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Moore View Post
The site linked to reviews both lenses, and gives the Panasonic Lens 4 stars and the Olympus 3 1/2. The Panasonic is also faster at maximum zoom: F5.6 versus F6.7 for the Olympus, so better for low light. I think for bird photography the Panasonic is the better choice.

Here is the review for the Panasonic lens:

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/pa...s-review-17763

Jim
the problem Jim is that no one here in BF uses the Olympus lens, we all own the Pana even those how got Olympus bodies. and frankly i don't trust the reviews on amazon.

for me as always its bright sun shine i don't care much about the one stop diffrance in favor if Pana. but the OIS seem to work much better that the IBIS i have noticed this in the EPL1 and also now in the EPL5.
__________________
dulce doux
i love BF
flickr blog
birds of Saudi Arabia
ammadoux is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th April 2013, 16:21   #8
Jim M.
Choose Civility

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 6,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammadoux View Post
the problem Jim is that no one here in BF uses the Olympus lens, we all own the Pana even those how got Olympus bodies. and frankly i don't trust the reviews on amazon.
Hi ammadoux,

I wasn't linking to Amazon reviews. I was linking to another review from the site you linked to in the beginning of this thread. I don't know much about the site, but they appear to use objective tests for evaluating lenses. And thus they seem to enable a comparison of the sort Niels was asking for. Personally, I put more stock in objective tests than whether individual users like or dislike a particular lens, though I don't discount the latter either.

You are lucky to have good light for your local photography. But presumably you travel to see birds as well, and globally most bird species are found in forested areas where light is not so good. So I'd suspect even you would have use for better low light capabilities when you travel--and I'm sure that's true of the vast majority of bird photographers.

Jim
__________________
My Micro 4/3 photo gallery:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35716495@N08/albums

Last edited by Jim M. : Friday 12th April 2013 at 16:41.
Jim M. is online now  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2013 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th April 2013, 17:06   #9
ammadoux
Registered doux
 
ammadoux's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jeddah - Saudi Arabia
Posts: 69,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Moore View Post
Hi ammadoux,



You are lucky to have good light for your local photography. But presumably you travel to see birds as well, and globally most bird species are found in forested areas where light is not so good. So I'd suspect even you would have use for better low light capabilities when you travel--and I'm sure that's true of the vast majority of bird photographers.

Jim
this is so true, most of my bird shots failed terribly in Sri Lanka even for the birds that were really close, i still look in petty fro those blurred closeups for the beautiful magpie robin,
__________________
dulce doux
i love BF
flickr blog
birds of Saudi Arabia
ammadoux is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th April 2013, 17:14   #10
ammadoux
Registered doux
 
ammadoux's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Jeddah - Saudi Arabia
Posts: 69,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Moore View Post
Hi ammadoux,

I wasn't linking to Amazon reviews. I was linking to another review from the site you linked to in the beginning of this thread. I don't know much about the site, but they appear to use objective tests for evaluating lenses. And thus they seem to enable a comparison of the sort Niels was asking for.


Jim
since i am not very much into complicated photography i really don't understand much of what is written on the reviews i prefer to see gallery of those like us here on BF or on flickr. i know that the results depend on the actual talent of the photographer but it also shows what are the real capabilities of the camera he is using.

anyway back to the new Olympus i am thinking of replacing my pana because i think i am having some compatibility problems which i did not face with the EPL1, the lens some time get stuck and it would not respond at all, until i wait for a while, that is really annoying in case of bird photography.

i did not have this problem at all with the MFT Olympus 12-50mm.
__________________
dulce doux
i love BF
flickr blog
birds of Saudi Arabia
ammadoux is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS on Olympus PEN body? Hor Kee Olympus 2 Tuesday 9th August 2011 01:44
Olympus 70-300mm Lens susanrowe Olympus 7 Tuesday 19th April 2011 19:31
Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm f4.8-6.7 with Olympus PEN E-PL1 relictus Olympus 15 Sunday 3rd October 2010 19:48



Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.18323803 seconds with 20 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:54.