• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

unknown in harsh light, north norway (1 Viewer)

lbaia

Photo taken against the sun, lots of details lost, cannot really understand what it is.
North Cape area.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20140818_lapland_norway_0156.jpg
    20140818_lapland_norway_0156.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 138
  • 20140818_lapland_norway_0157.jpg
    20140818_lapland_norway_0157.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 115
Thanks guys.
This was quite incidental find, as I saw this bird chasing a white-tailed eagle on the top of the hill. I was taking some landscape photos and eating with my girlfriend and not really paying so much attention, but it looked big. My first guess was a GBBG but even against the sun was too dark and the flight pattern did not seem right for that bird. So I just had time to snap these two shots.
I'm happy it is a bonxie, I saw a few in Iceland some years ago but it was the first and only on this trip.

Cheers

Thanks guys.
This was quite incidental find, as I saw this bird chasing a white-tailed eagle on the top of the hill. I was taking some landscape photos and eating with my girlfriend and not really paying so much attention, but it looked big. My first guess was a GBBG but even against the sun was too dark and the flight pattern did not seem right for that bird. So I just had time to snap these two shots.
I'm happy it is a bonxie, I saw a few in Iceland some years ago but it was the first and only on this trip.

Cheers

You are up in Varanger yes? and this is your first Great Skua? I frankly am stunned.

Happy you found one / came across one, but wowser, am shocked.

You are up in Varanger yes? and this is your first Great Skua? I frankly am stunned.

Happy you found one / came across one, but wowser, am shocked.

This one was actually found in Gjesvaer, close to Nordkapp, west of Varanger. I was in the area for a few days on holidays with my girlfriend, so birding was not the only thing I could do :)

Why are you shocked? Do you think I should have seen many more? Or because I was lucky to see one?

You should be seeing all four species in high numbers. They #should# be in abundance all around you.

Beautiful part of the world to visit!

You should be seeing all four species in high numbers. They #should# be in abundance all around you.

Beautiful part of the world to visit!

The information I got in there is that late August is not that good anymore.
I'm a beginner so I might have missed many things (adding that I was on normal holidays with my girlfriend and weather was really bad for 2 or 3 days), but I don't believe all four species were in abundance

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back