• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheap Birding/photography Hide! (1 Viewer)

mike from ebbw

hi.whilst searching through the magazines and the net for a bird hide i was shocked at the price of them.£100 plus!so i thought i would try to make one myself.it had to be light to carry,quick to erect,camouflaged and comfortable.i bought one of those fishing shelters in dark green (£5.99).i put it up and proceeded to spray some streaks and blobs on it with matt black car primer.hey presto a decent and very cheap hide.i have photographed and watched peregrines,foxes,buzzards and all kinds of wildlife with no disturbance to them at all.best of all it is comfortable and waterproof and combined with army scrim netting draped over it practically invisible!total price was £8.99(£18.00 with army scrim).it packs up smaller than my tripod and takes about three minutes to erect.(picture shows hide without the scrim)

Attachments

• hide.jpg
    hide.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 4,657
mik.................i bought one of those fishing shelters in dark green (£5.99).i.....................s said:
Did you get it via the net? IF SO, WHAT WAS THE URL OF THE SOURCE? Sorry for the caps... 've never seen a shelter for only 6pounds. I have watched US sources, and about $40 is the cheapest I've seen. Big difference. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong item? tswill2

For other UK users, Tesco's are doing a light blue "beach shelter, which is perfect for this at about £8. It's a half open tent type thing, but the army camouflage netting costs an absolute fortune.

If anyone has got a cheap source I would be very interested.

g8ina said:
For other UK users, Tesco's are doing a light blue "beach shelter, which is perfect for this at about £8. It's a half open tent type thing, but the army camouflage netting costs an absolute fortune.

i managed to pick one up at ALDI`S of all places.the camo netting is expensive but my local army and navy suppliers will cut it to whatever size you want.i am sure you could probably get one on ebay for a few quid.

nice one Mike, nice to see your one that takes the trouble not to disturbe birds when taking your pics. wish i had seen these in Aldis too, I use camo netting mostly hanging of a branch that works too but like you say it does cost compaired to your own version of hide.

g8ina said:
... the army camouflage netting costs an absolute fortune.

I second the request, a good scrim net/camo netting seems to cost a lot almost everywhere; any suggestion on the best material?
Regards,
Max

I've just found some bargains on Ebay: for exanple (assuming I can post this link - not sure about the rules for posting Ebay links outside of the For Sale forum):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280043974849&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=280043974407&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

It's not "proper" scrim netting, but it'll do the job...

Add this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FISHING-SHELT...3QQihZ015QQcategoryZ72670QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and you're sorted.

Forgot the store specialized in hide for photograph. Go in hunting store, very much cheaper and at the end of the season they always have very good rebate (they are the same hide anyway). A camouflage tarp it's very cheap and effective, easy to cary and install everywhere. An alternative it's a three sides hide for the turkey hunting. It folddown in circle at about 8inch. just put it under some low branch against a tree and "voila" the top and back are covered.

avan said:
Forgot the store specialized in hide for photograph. Go in hunting store, very much cheaper and at the end of the season they always have very good rebate (they are the same hide anyway). A camouflage tarp it's very cheap and effective, easy to cary and install everywhere. An alternative it's a three sides hide for the turkey hunting. It folddown in circle at about 8inch. just put it under some low branch against a tree and "voila" the top and back are covered.

This is all true on this side of the atlantic (I can't believe how cheap hides/blinds are over here!) but there aren't the same sort of stores or demand for hunting gear in the UK.

Cheers

Mark.

mothman said:
I have used the ones from the kids sight 'Muddy puddles' (£18.00)http://www.muddypuddles.com/Garden-Play/Camouflage-net

Ignore the pink one though!

Hi All,
Stateside is the best bet for portable hides. I sent for two, my mate and I shared the carrage for two Ameristep G-10 pop-up hides total cost each was £44 including carrage, VAT and custom duty delived by UPS. Exellent service. Best piece of kit I have ever bought. Pops up in seconds, takes a little longer to store at first attempt, its about the size of a bike wheel when folded, it all fits in the bag supplied. They are also shower proof, I have left mine out all night in the rain in the garden, my fold up chair was bone dry left inside. I think the bandits on Ebay are selling the same item for £100 plus carrage.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...712&parentType=category&cmCat=MainCatcat20712

Well recommended. Regards.

Roy.

Just in case anyone is interested LIDL`s are selling the fishing shelter that was the base of my hide again.It goes on sale from Monday at £8.99.

gmax said:
I second the request, a good scrim net/camo netting seems to cost a lot almost everywhere; any suggestion on the best material?
Regards,
Max

you could try ebay. in the uk several edbay traders arr offering srim net quite cheaply. look in the hunting shooting sections. a while ago an on line fishing gear firm called Askari were selling camoflaged kids dome tents for around 20 gbp. ideal as a basis for building a cheap hide. i dont think hides need to be made of expensive camo gear if tha are left in situ then the birds will soon get used to them being there. i had one made from some old timber and a tarp from a diy suplier. total cost 15gbp. it seated 4 and was up for a year

Hi Stevie,
I have just recieved mine and it great piece of kit! very well made. I ot it to replace my previous hide which basically lasted 2 months and then split at seams (it cost 3 times the price i paid for the new one ouch)
Anyone looking for a great portable hide then get one now before they sell out again (i missed them last time)
Cheers
Brian
Ps the hide measures 6' X 6' and will easily seat 4 ! + lots of windows with mesh screens to keep creepies out LoL

Last edited:
Hi Stevie,
I have just recieved mine and it great piece of kit! very well made. I ot it to replace my previous hide which basically lasted 2 months and then split at seams (it cost 3 times the price i paid for the new one ouch)
Anyone looking for a great portable hide then get one now before they sell out again (i missed them last time)
Cheers
Brian
Forgot to say, Make sure you have a practice folding the pop up hides before you venture out into the field or public gaze! 1st attempt is quite a wrestling match until you get the knack of it LOL All i can say is Generation Game and didn't I do well LoL
Cheers
Brian

From an ethics standpoint I think I'd feel funny about buying from a hunting shop, even though they are most likely cheaper. Silly I know.

Hi Stevie,
Cheers
Brian
Ps the hide measures 6' X 6' and will easily seat 4 ! + lots of windows with mesh screens to keep creepies out LoL

Which one are you refering to?
The 'pop up' is shown as out of stock. The ones that are shown as 'in stock' don't say they are pop up.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back