• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Steve's watercolour challenge (1 Viewer)

I also want to see a version with the concrete! I'm a huge fan of seeing the birds in a man-made setting. A couple of years back I had a picture in an exhibition of a young peregrine sitting on the shore of Belvide reservoir, with a great big tyre in the background! I suppose the worst was ages ago, one of my early paintings of some snow buntings picking about on a beach - with a used condom (there really was one there - so I put it in!)

Ok. You guys that wanted concrete and steel. Here it is. This painting has been in the bin twice but my wife always rescues it. She my biggest fan. Infact my only fan.
Steve

Attachments

• concrete-and-steel-grey-wag.jpg
    concrete-and-steel-grey-wag.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 93
Yes steve step away from the bin!! these are not for the tip or local council!

Listen to she who must be obey'ed. They are usually right about most things.
Well mine Is, so she tells me!

Yep .... Women are ALWAYS right Steve, or hasn't she taught you that yet:gh:
Great pic and definately prefer this one, although personally I cannot stand being in manmade settings myself, prefer rivers and woodland!

Oh don't worry I was taught that very early on in our relationship. 28 years later 'she who must be obeyed' is still usually right..... well I let her think that anyway. ;)
Steve

OooWWW Thats her now just reminding me.

Great wags Steve, you seem to have captured the moment with the mid-air wag leaping from the rocks for the mayfly, esp. like the wing shape, well done.

when to stop

Hi All,
Apoliges for not dropping in sooner but I seem to paint in bursts and then do nothing for ages. This is not really the best thing but thats the way it goes. I have been lurking and looking at all the excellent work on here.
Anyway I have been doing a bit of painting lately and put a few in the gallery. I painted these snow bunts yesterday and at one piont I decided it was finished only to have a rethink and 2 hours later I ended up with a totally different looking painting. The one before the rethink has a light feel to it and the one after heavier but more vibrant. I painted the birds first which I was quite pleased with but then the dreaded background which I hate doing because I know I will usually ruin the painting.
Just thought if anybody has any advice or opinions on the 2 versions of the same picture,
Steve

Attachments

• DSCN6057.jpg
    DSCN6057.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN6063.jpg
    DSCN6063.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 76
Steve,
I'm not an artist - I just love this thread - but to me the left pic. is better.
I think you've got the tone right - Snow bunts always disappear into their background - & you've got that.
Also I prefer the composition with the near horizon with the birds on it - & the background knocked back- again typical views of Snow bunts.

Just to be awkward - I prefer the second image. In fact, I would go as far as to saythat it would work even better if you carried the background texture right up and off the page top. As HT rightly points out, this would add to the 'disappearing act'. great work, anyway and I like the thought process.

I prefer the left hand image, which unfortunately is the one you carried on with to get the second image? I prefer the way the space disappears in that one, that isn't to say that the second one doesn't work - it is a really strong image, an excellent group, and the razor shell provides a nice 'path' into the main interest. Good to have you back with us.

I think the left hand image had a nice sense of intimacy partly because of the lower horizon which gave the feeling of a low viewpoint, down among the birds. The final image is still a great grouping of beautiful birds though. Nice work, you ought to post more often!

Mike

I felt the left hand pic didn't quite look right . I thought that I needed to put something behind the back 2 birds otherwise the view piont would have to have been from ground level although the birds and piece of wood are painted as though they are being looked down on. Not sure if that makes sense. I am not to displeased with the end result but I do need to plan my backgrounds more. Thanks for all the comments

The inspiration for this painting came whilst I was filling the kettle at the kitchen window the other morning. I noticed the daisies in the flower bed moving about but could not make out what was causing it. I grabbed my bins and realised it was a male house sparrow clambering about amongst the flowers. It was quite amusing to watch as it tried to steady itself on the whispy stems. The bird was feeding on blackfly that enjoy feeding on the daisies and the painting below is the end result.
I made myself paint most of the background first before I painted the actual sparrow and have tried to paint a little bit looser on this one.
Steve

Attachments

• DSCN6077.jpg
    DSCN6077.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 85
I actually like this humble sparrow quite a lot, you say it 'looser', but i think its enought to make the picture......
Yep gets my vote for this one

This one's a real winner. Nice composition and a nice delicate touch on the dasies. Seems like we're all trying to loosten up!

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back