• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cackling Goose? - Long Island, NY (1 Viewer)

safarisurfing

I don't think any of these are cackling geese but I just wanted to be sure. I get confused because some canada geese seem to have smaller necks than others, would this be the less variety? The lesser canada goose is a subspecies I am assuming? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_3580 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_3580 (1024x768).jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3586 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_3586 (1024x768).jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3385 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_3385 (1024x768).jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 50
Correct - there are no Cackling Geese in these photos. They are barely longer than a Mallard (although quite a bit heavier), with small bills. And yes, the smaller Canadas that are not Cacklings are a sub-species, Lesser Canada Goose.

Also most likely not Lesser Canada Geese, as that refers to the "parvipes" subspecies which is quite rare in the east. What you are seeing are likely one of the common migrant subspecies of Canada Goose (either "canadensis" or "interior"), which are smaller than the introduced resident birds in your area (usually of the "maxima" or "moffitti" subspecies).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back