• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie question bird identification (1 Viewer)

okitsme

Firstly I know very little about birds.
I've had a pair of these birds visit my garden in Essex daily over the last few weeks.
I've done the obvious like visiting the local library to attempt identification with no success.
Size wise they are a bit larger than a Blackbird.
any help gratefully received

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 919
Are you in Essex in England or America? If it's England you'll have an army of birders on their way to yours!

I have no idea what they are BTW!

wow...you may have some kind of rarity/new bird in our garden..............or you just bought a plastic bird that isnt based on any species and decided to wind us up!!
Doesnt it look like a dipper?

I posted a genuine question from someone who knows very little about your subject.
This picture is a still taken from a 3 minute video I filmed. if its plastic then it's covered in feathers and flies pretty much like any other bird.
I certainly wouldn't go to the trouble of registering for your site just to wind anyone up !!
it's Essex England by the way.

im sorry...it was a light hearted joke...but that is a dipper. Dunno why its going for that fatball. Do you live by any fast flowing,secretive streams? If it actually ate the fatball..you should conseider reporting it to the appropriate authority..because im sure they would be interested in a diet change in dippers
Sorry if offense was taken
Seb

this is a dipper, the eye of a jackdaw and the back half of lord knows what
verdict a mosaic of birds, nice try but you have to get up earler to catch the members on here out, and you say you have a pair of them!!!!!!!!!!!

The markings and stance(jizz?) seem right...i only said plastic dipper because ,if it is a dipper, the colours look a bit wrong.

plastic birds

Steve, for your benefit I've just gone out and bought another plastic bird to put in the image below (taken 1 week ago not to clear I know)
in the last few days only one of the pair has arrived prior to this they were always a pair.

I've looked at the pictures of a dipper and although similar the markings are definitly different. if it's any help they have two white markings on the bottom two corners of their faned out tail.
I can post alternative pictures if required

Attachments

• bird04.jpg
    bird04.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 806
I go with Steve on this one. If it is a genuine bird then please invite me round to have a look. I live in Essex. As far as I know there is no suitable habitat for dipper in Essex.

More Piccs

These are stills captured from video so the quality is as you would expect

Attachments

• bird05.jpg
    bird05.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 698
If it is real! its not native and not a european bird, although superficially like a dipper the tail is way too long, and it would not be feeding on a lawn!

Just looking in books now - nearest I've found so far is Pratincole spp. - highly unlikely, I know. Can't find anything in cage bird line, but I'll keep looking. This is intriguing !

Tony

Michael, Well done
I've just found an image on the WEB and I agree they do look pretty similar.
Thanks for clearing my name as a wind up merchant. I supose their outlook is bleak any thoughts as to what I should do ?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back