• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Robins of Eden (1 Viewer)

Dizzy

Did anyone see that lovely little 10 minute programme of the Robins living at the Eden Project in Cornwall tonight? I didnt notice it in the programme schedule and caught it completely by chance.

What a great little filler it was!. I've never seen so many robins living together in the one place, and I never knew (according to the narrator) that European Robins are very shy and that only our British Robins are so unafraid of man. I thought they were the same everywhere! :bounce: It was lovely seeing them build a nest in the daffodil display box and to see them hopping around all the visitors, completely unfazed, waiting for scraps to be flung. I wish I'd had the sense to start the video recorder so that I could watch it all over again.

Awww, I missed that Dizzy!
It sounded a real gem. They are so intelligent, I love the way he pops out to see me when I'm filling the feeders. All the other daft birds have never thought this "food" thing through & fly off like hysterical ninnies!

I took this pic this morning, hope you like him.
Bye for now

Attachments

• DSC_0254.JPG
    DSC_0254.JPG
    326.8 KB · Views: 39
I`ve recorded it along with the programme about Iguacu that was on before it as I was out last night. Looking forward to doing the next lot of ironing to enable me to watch both!

Oh, Pie, he`s SO cute! Mine`s being very elusive at the moment, so little chance of a photo.

Wendy Morris said:
I`ve recorded it along with the programme about Iguacu that was on before it as I was out last night. Looking forward to doing the next lot of ironing to enable me to watch both!

So it's not just me who does that! I'm always so busy or have to go to bed early for work that I tend to tape most wildlife programmes and catch up with them later on - whilst ironing! ;)

I did however catch the last five minutes of the Robins last night and it was absolutely charming! Can't wait to watch the full programme. Such wonderful birds, aren't they? Folk who dismiss them because they are common really are missing out!

I think we need to harass the BBC until they make a full length one-hour programme about Robins *and Moorhens too for that matter - to keep Neil happy LOL*

Sadly I too missed the Eden robins, but my "other half" gave me a full description of them which made me feel even more like kicking myself, hopefully it will be repeated aat some point. They really are terrific characters. Pie your photo is gorgeous and so were the ones you put on my welcome thread, thankyou for letting us see them, and hope to see many more.

Cd

Pie...he's a little beauty, thanks for showing him to us. 'My' robin has a habit of posing artfully on top of the spade, on top of the water barrell, on top of the willow tree in the planter etc etc etc ;) but usually takes off just as I'm about to press the shutter. He's not the slightest bit afraid of me, he does it deliberately..I just know he does ;)

p.s. I know what you mean about the 'hysterical ninnies..lol

Best wishes

Hi Dizzy & All,
A bit late in joining this thread but......Yes, I too thought it a lovely bit of film. I also noticed that not many people on the film seemed to notice the Robins!! They didn't know what they were missing!!
I too loved seeing the pair that nested in the Daffodil display!
A lovely 10 minutes worth, made me want more!!
All the Best to All,
Judo.
P.S. Lovely photo pie. Attached are a few of mine, taken the other day, and one taken last Winter, with the Robin as he looks best!! in the snow!

Attachments

• Robin.jpg
    Robin.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Robin (1).jpg
    Robin (1).jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Robin (2).jpg
    Robin (2).jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Robin in Snow.jpg
    Robin in Snow.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 30
Hi all,
Yes we recorded it too along with Natural World before it so am glad to hear I've something special to look forward to at the weekend!
Pie your Robin is gorgeous!!!
Judo your snow Robin pic was taken a few days after my sons birthday last year and reminded me of the late snowfall we'd had on it,thanks! :t:
Best wishes,

Great programme prompted some great pics.My2005 robin woold feed from my hand but this year,as I mentioned on an earlier thread, I must have a Euro.Robin.He is so shy and I'm sure he sings in French or even Walloon.I want one Made in Britain.lol

maurice

It was an amazing little film, I love Robins and have found out that my one Robin that feeds from my window feeder is actually two and I had not realised. Today I actually saw one leave in one direction as the other one arrived from another. I am thrilled.
Maurice, it must have been amazing to have a Robin feed off your hand, I would love that.

Judo said:
Hi Dizzy & All,

P.S. Lovely photo pie. Attached are a few of mine, taken the other day, and one taken last Winter, with the Robin as he looks best!! in the snow!

Smashing pics Judo...and I agree..he really does look his best in the snow, thats a lovely one.

Best wishes

Hi Dizzy.
I can support what you say about continental Robins: I've just returned from Spain, and I saw Robins on the waste-ground near the apartment, but I couldn't get anywhere near as close to them as I can to the Robins that come into my garden.

All the best.
Baz.

I`ve now done that load of ironing that I mentioned earlier in the week and have seen both the programmes I recorded. The Iguaçu one was amazing, I only had to concentrate on the ironing for a short time whilst the legless creatures were on screen! The happy Eden robins have certainly got it made, haven`t they?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back