• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NEW meopro HD x32 series (1 Viewer)

Hello WiscTJK,

I rather like my MeoPro 6.5x32. Perhaps the HD package would not have improved the view, at that power.
However, I have seen three MeoPro binoculars whose focussing knob has slipped off, so there was some need for improvement.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

They had oddest focuser knob I have seen, and I didn't even have your issue!

At least the rest is awesome. In light of recent discussions, good point on whether HD matters
depending on power. I'm still trying to find real numbers on what "HD" models resolve to.
Might mean something at 10x, but who knows.

They had oddest focuser knob I have seen, and I didn't even have your issue!

At least the rest is awesome. In light of recent discussions, good point on whether HD matters
depending on power. I'm still trying to find real numbers on what "HD" models resolve to.
Might mean something at 10x, but who knows.

Hello Optic N,

"HD" is marketing. ED, FL, and triplet objective are reality based terms.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Triplet objective is fascinating. Sort of an apochromat, and a great weightlifting opportunity?
It does hint at something practical, though.

They are generous with information.
Someone who experiences CA often might benefit.
If you see CA and have astigmatism and are not looking through single-correction, though, you
need to correct your correction first, and get a pair of single-correction lenses.

Last edited:
Hello edj. I think the Euro HD has been around for at least a couple of years, maybe longer. While the newer meopro's price might seem to be too close to the EuroHD, there's been some speculation that if the meostars get upgraded, then their prices would also bump upward, to reestablish the bigger price gap between the lines. In the meantime, buyers can choose between the two of them. For me, the meopro's 17mm eye relief looks a lot better than the euro's 15mm eye relief.

I find it a bit odd myself that the meostar and upgraded meopro HD are going to be so close in price. So much in fact, I visited with a nice guy at Meopta about this. Here's the gist of our conversation. I asked him first of all about optics between the two, and he tells me that there will be no difference in optical quality between the Meostar HD and the Meopro HD, none. The only differences will be in ergos, build materials, and specs. I asked him if Meopta is worried if the Meopro HD would canibilize sales of the Meostar HD, and he assured me they were not worried about it at all. It took that the Meopro will be aimed at the US market directly, and the Meostar lineup more towards the overseas markets. Take it FWIW.

Marketeers

Hello Optic N,

"HD" is marketing. ED, FL, and triplet objective are reality based terms.

Happy bird watching,

Hardly really...ED is used now in so many optics ,ranging in glass quality from the the top of the range Fpl-53 to some glasses that barely qualify as ED,that is definitely a marketing term..FL, same of the same,..fluoride ,fluorite glass..you name it..everything wants to be related to fluorite crystal in the optics market and bare the family name..FL ,for what i know is Zeiss marketing of the concept...but In reality pure fluorite crystal goes by CaF2...And i guess a triplet can be an Achromat or an Apochromat,or anything in between..a semi-apo....

I'm seeing the Meopro HD's listed at B&H with "usually ships in 7-10 days" notation. Anyone try one yet?

Also, I'm seeing the old 6.5x32 Meopro listed as discontinued and no longer available at B&H and CameraLand NY and a few other places as well. Sad that it isn't re-offered in the new Meopro HD line. It was a nice view that could have benefited from the new body and HD lenses. |:(|

CG

I'm seeing the Meopro HD's listed at B&H with "usually ships in 7-10 days" notation. Anyone try one yet?

Also, I'm seeing the old 6.5x32 Meopro listed as discontinued and no longer available at B&H and CameraLand NY and a few other places as well. Sad that it isn't re-offered in the new Meopro HD line. It was a nice view that could have benefited from the new body and HD lenses. |:(|

CG

Hello Cycle Guy,

I agree. I find the 6.5x32 to be quite useful, but not an all around glass.

Happy bird watching,

On Meopta's website the transmission levels for the new Meopro HD binoculars are significantly lower than the Meostar HD so I doubt the two share the same optics.

On Meopta's website the transmission levels for the new Meopro HD binoculars are significantly lower than the Meostar HD so I doubt the two share the same optics.

Not sure what you're looking at, but the Meopta site's overview of the 32/42mm HD says 99.7% The Meopro 42mm HD lists 99.8%.

Call tech support and ask them for yourself. That's what i did, and they verified that they are the same.

Last edited:
On the website go to binoculars and choose the model, once there click on specifications. Numbers are for overall transmission, not individual lens transmission.
There is no free lunch when it comes to optics.

Meopro HD

80% Twilight transmission
85% Daylight transmission

Meostar HD

84% Twilight transmission
88% Daylight transmission

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back