• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digital Monitor Shade (1 Viewer)

Gwynne

Anyone tried the monitor shade from 7dayshop.com? It looks a nice piece of kit at a very reasonable price. Before I buy have you any advice?
Gwynne

It looks decent enough and is cheaper when compared to the EagleEye alternatives.

Being so flexible though makes me wonder how well the models with the magnifiers would work. I'd have thought for the magnifier to work properly it would have to be a fixed distance from the LCD screen. That would mean having to hold the bellows frame. Okay for 'normal' photography but not for digisccoping. Durabiliy of the bellows material is an issue too. If the magnifier gets flexed as many times as the one in the 7dayshop ad, I can't see it lasting very long ;)

My first thoughts are that for digiscoping it's something I'd want to view before buying and the EagleEye/Photosolve version stills looks a better alternative.

For noraml use as a sunshade then it looks a better alternative, as it is likely lighter and being flexible is easier to carry around.

I bought the one without the magnifier lens and it does an OK job. In very bright light it is still hard to see the monitor. I think it depends on which direction the sun is coming from.

I've been practicing with the EagleEye Xtend-a-View shade and, though it takes some getting used to the pixellation of the monitor, I think it's very good. I can just about see when something is in focus. I thought at first that I was never going to get the hang of it.

I use a slide viewer (£1.99 FROM Jessops) with a piece of elastic attached and the bottom cut off. It's as good as the Eagle Eye product, some people have even said it's better!

Mark

I've heard that too, Mark.

It doesn't look like you've had an official welcome to Bird Forum, so on behalf of all Moderators and Admin, let me do that now.

You'll find plenty of useful information and advice here, and we look forward to hearing of your birding experiences and highlights.

Looks like you're not far off from my neck of the woods. It would be great to see you on the Up North Bash when we will be visiting Bempton Cliffs and Flamborough Head - it's on 18th May. Lifts are available if you haven't got transport - or even if you have! See the Member's Meetings forum.

I use the Extenda view pro lcd sunshade viewer & I can honestly say that apart from my digiscoping adapter it is the most usefull piece of kit I own.I find that focussing is much easier with this unit,the bellows unit looks to flimsy to me.I know the extenda view is more expensive but in the long run I think it`s worth the extra money.

Thanks everyone, I'll look into the slide viewer from Jessops and the extenda view pro. I'll let you know what I decide as and when I can afford it.
regards Gwynne

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back