• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Factory visit (1 Viewer)

I must say that I haven't paid attention to that. Now you've mentioned it I should have.
As a supplier of optical parts to several premium companies, I would take it for granted that they do.
I'll ask and let you know.

Found http://www.meopta.com/en/vacuum-coating/ (thanks to Lee) and this will answer all your questions. Nice pics on that site. Go to the OEM section and you'll see what I meant with lined up equipment.

Jan

Jan (and Lee),

Thanks for the link...Amazing...who'd thunk it! :t:

Ted

Very cool trip. I know I shouldn't be jealous, but I am a little bit.

To rub it in a little more;), the trip to get there is as nice as the real thing.
The airport of Prague is superb modern. From there you take a 10 minutes drive to the railway station. The old entrance hall is a ancient basilisk and a plaquette on the wall shows Woodrow Wilson in bronze with a text about democracy. I don't think Trump will ever join him.
Prague is like Rome. That would say enough.
Prerov is on the other side of the country and it will take a speedtrain trip of 3 hours to get there. Comfort and elegance like from the 60s will accompany you with unbelievable professional hostesses who will serve you free beverages all the way and if you like all kinds of food.
Looking outside to the snowy woods and fields you'll see wild pigs and dears by the dozens between the small villages and the farmhouses which show up occasionly.
Czech Republic is worth the visit:t:

Jan

Hello Jan. Thank you (and Gijs) for this insightful report. Did either of you happen to see whether or not they are set up to apply dielectric coatings? Some of us have been wondering about this, as some of their more recent offerings seem more color-neutral than the older ones.

Got word from Meopta, but they don't use dielectric coatings on their current line.

Jan

I wonder what % of their output is binoculars ? They have medical, scientific and military divisions.

QC issues. How can expensive binos (from most makes it seems) get through alleged stringent testing in the state reported bellow ? They are after all quite simple optical devices compared to something like this with numerous moving parts: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/Canon_EF_200-400mm_cut.jpg

Quote from Allbinos 2016 review:

"That almost idyllic image is spoilt by the quality control – it seems the Czechs have to work on it much harder. When we glanced inside the binoculars and examined the prisms carefully we noticed strange damp patches on their edges. On the right prism there was a shiny object – a bigger speck of dust or even a glass or coating defect. If the Meopta is supposed to qualify as a top-of-the-range, premium instrument such a specimen shouldn’t have been sent to the shops at all."

http://www.allbinos.com/310-binoculars_review-Meopta_Meostar_B1_10x42_HD.html

Last edited:
I wonder what % of their output is binoculars ? They have medical, scientific and military divisions.

QC issues. How can expensive binos (from most makes it seems) get through alleged stringent testing in the state reported bellow ? They are after all quite simple optical devices compared to something like this with numerous moving parts: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/Canon_EF_200-400mm_cut.jpg

Quote from Allbinos 2016 review:

"That almost idyllic image is spoilt by the quality control – it seems the Czechs have to work on it much harder. When we glanced inside the binoculars and examined the prisms carefully we noticed strange damp patches on their edges. On the right prism there was a shiny object – a bigger speck of dust or even a glass or coating defect. If the Meopta is supposed to qualify as a top-of-the-range, premium instrument such a specimen shouldn’t have been sent to the shops at all."

http://www.allbinos.com/310-binoculars_review-Meopta_Meostar_B1_10x42_HD.html

Can't say I understand what the Canon lens has to do with Meopta, but Allbinos review will certainly reflect what they examined.
It's just hard to believe for someone who wittnessed Meopta's QC, but than again; I have no doubts on Allbinos review.

Jan

It is no excuse to know this happens to other premium products: fires in Ferraris and leaking oil seals and cylinder scoring in Porsches are examples. We have heard stories of tiny particles inside many brands of binoculars including all of the top brands although I have yet to see any in bins I have personally handled.

I have seen many production lines over the years and all them were planned and manned and controlled to prevent these kinds of things happening but happen they do. This doesn't mean it is acceptable but it does make it hard to understand how it happens.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back