• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8X30E (1 Viewer)

dries1

I obtained a Nikon 8X30E on the famous website and didn't pay much - some pics below. You would think that when an item such as a binocular is being shipped it should have enough bubble wrapping for shock absorption since some mail is handled rough.
Well I see the package is in one bubble USPS bag stuffed in a USPS thin cardboard box and the bino only had one sheet of thin bubble wrap. Upon inspection it appears in good shape and for a 90s glass no scratches on the glass or cleaning marks, some small particles inside. OK I can live with that, the VIEW is totally out of alignment, oh well...it will be sent out for a clean and realignment. I am looking to using these as the kitchen window bins, always at hand. This model was made in Japan and had improved coatings. It is a bit more compact than the new EII and just slightly heavier. the design is a reminder of the Zeiss 8X30 IMO the first really portable 8X30 with a wide view.

Andy W.

Last edited:
I am going to send them to Suddarth Optical for alignment and cleanup. The lens are really clear, the center focus and diopter all function as they should, however the packing it came in was not satisfactory. Once cleaned up they will be a very usable glass. By the way there is one mint on ...y and they are mint from Japan, I would have bought those but they came out recently.
Your quote is very succinct,

Andy W.

I am going to send them to Suddarth Optical for alignment and cleanup. The lens are really clear, the center focus and diopter all function as they should, however the packing it came in was not satisfactory. Once cleaned up they will be a very usable glass. By the way there is one mint on ...y and they are mint from Japan, I would have bought those but they came out recently.
Your quote is very succinct,

Andy W.

Thank you.

It's an original "Richard's Aphorism".
I have quite a few, but hesitate to post them here.

I'll go one more "No matter what it is, you can always get it cheaper ........... and it will be."

Congratulations on your purchases Andy. I wonder if anyone knows how far beyond infinity the 8x30E will focus (if at all possible, giving a diopter measurement)? When I tried the EII without glasses the unit I tried, unfortunately, would not beyond infinity sufficiently to accommodate my left eye when viewing targets at long distance.

I wonder if anyone knows how far beyond infinity the 8x30E will focus (if at all possible, giving a diopter measurement)?

Just now I crudely measured about 6.5 diopters beyond infinity for the EII and about 9 diopters for the E. Consider those rough approximations, but the E does have more travel beyond infinity and a much longer close focus (about 18' vs 7' for my eyes).

Many thanks Henry - I am indebted to you. It's a shame this information is not more widely available. The fact my vision has deteriorated to such an extent is not the fault of the binocular manufacturers, of course, but it has a direct effect on what I can consider in terms of purchases.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back