• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coolpix 7900 + Nikon ED82 (1 Viewer)

peter1964

Hello all
I've recently bought a coolpix 7900 to try my hand at digiscoping with my ed82. I know that digiscoping is a skill that improves with practice, but I must admit I have been disappointed with my first results. Mainly out of focus. I'm a little lost! Is there anyone out there who has used this combo who could tell me what settings are best? Should this comb be a good set up?

thanks.

Do you use the FSB-1 adapter with the shutter release cable? If not, you need a very secure hand. In digiscoping the focus are one of the most difficult part. The use of a shade, or better a 2x loupe, really help to fine tune the focus. I use the P1 that is a bit different, but I finaly ended with the same setting I was using with my CP4500. That setting are the one you can find at Andy bright site or Eagleeyes site in UK. Often, people tend to crank up the zoom of the eyepiece. Unless you want to record a rarity that are very far away, I think it a bad practice, I never have and never see good result. The closer, the better are more true.

avan said:
Do you use the FSB-1 adapter with the shutter release cable? If not, you need a very secure hand. In digiscoping the focus are one of the most difficult part. The use of a shade, or better a 2x loupe, really help to fine tune the focus. I use the P1 that is a bit different, but I finaly ended with the same setting I was using with my CP4500. That setting are the one you can find at Andy bright site or Eagleeyes site in UK. Often, people tend to crank up the zoom of the eyepiece. Unless you want to record a rarity that are very far away, I think it a bad practice, I never have and never see good result. The closer, the better are more true.
Hi

I`ve recently bought a Coolpix 7900 with a FSB-1A bracket which comes with a cable release. This fits the MC 30wide eyepiece for my Nikon ED 82 scope. The kit is quick to set up and easy to use ( much better than my Coolpix 995 and Swarovski scope)

I use "auto" shooting mode, Spot metering, and single AF. I`d prefer to use Aperture prioriy but it`s not available on this camera. It`s easy to adjust white balance and exposure control, and I`m getting consistently better results than I had with the Coolpix 995. I don`t use digital zoom, and try not to use optical zoom. You`re always going to struggle with focussing if the bird`s far away. Persevere and experiment - it`s great fun.

Les

Attachments

• twite.jpg
    twite.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 299
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back