• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focus settings (1 Viewer)

Neil said:
Well done on the test. The right hand side seems to have a little more DOF to me. Interesting. Neil.

And your conclusion? I'd suggest an F8 setting always gives a better DOF than a more open apperture!

CRF

CRF

The conclusion is, as we all know, higher aperture, equals larger depth of field.

But how this works through a scope I wasn't sure, not being an expert in optics. So with a simple length of wood and some card, I was able to prove for myself.
With the Nikon ED82 scope with 30x wide eyepiece and a Fuji F30 camera, located 20 metres from the target.

1 The Macro setting makes no difference

2 With full zoom on the camera there is hardly any difference in DOF using an aperture of f4.5 or f8.0

3 With no zoom on the camera and aperture of f4.5 there is good focus still about 1.5 feet (45cm) at the front and back of the target.

4 With no zoom on the camera and aperture of f8.0 there is good focus still about 2.25 feet (69cm) at the front and back of the target.

3 As mentioned on this or another thread, focusing the scope, then pressing the shutter release half way, and holding it while fine tuning the scope, before taking the picture, seems to acheive sharpest pictures for me.

The observations detailed, may not be true with other scope/camera/ eyepiece combinations.

Malc

Last edited:
Neil said:
Thanks Malc. It's amazing that with 1.5 - 2.5 feet of DOF it's so difficult to get the focus right. Neil.

Yes I agree Neil.
I guess some of the problem is in the rush to get everything set up and focused before the bird moves off. ;)
I am really looking forward to some better weather, to be able to get out more, with better light, and less wind.
In the 8 weeks I have had the scope and camera, I have only been out with it 6 times. But I can already see the capability of the equipment, to take some decent shots.

Malc

Feathered one said:
CRF

The conclusion is, as we all know, higher aperture, equals larger depth of field.

But how this works through a scope I wasn't sure, not being an expert in optics. So with a simple length of wood and some card, I was able to prove for myself.
With the Nikon ED82 scope with 30x wide eyepiece and a Fuji F30 camera.

1 The Macro setting makes no difference

2 With full zoom on the camera there is hardly any difference in DOF using an aperture of f4.5 or f8.0

3 With no zoom on the camera and aperture of f4.5 there is good focus still about 1.5 feet (45cm) at the front and back of the target.

4 With no zoom on the camera and aperture of f8.0 there is good focus still about 2.25 feet (69cm) at the front and back of the target.

3 As mentioned on this or another thread, focusing the scope, then pressing the shutter release half way, and holding it while fine tuning the scope, before taking the picture, seems to acheive sharpest pictures for me.

The observations detailed, may not be true with other scope/camera/ eyepiece combinations.

Malc

A very worthwhile test Malc, this is the sort of thing we all learn from. What distance were you from your target?

Regards

John

john-henry said:
A very worthwhile test Malc, this is the sort of thing we all learn from. What distance were you from your target?

Regards

John

Twenty metres John, pretty well the length of the front garden, any further and either the target or myself would be out on the road :-O

The wife :gh: thinks I am mad, cutting up bits of cardboard with numbers on, and screwing them to bits of wood, :brains:

Malc

Very educational Malc, pity there is not more of it. But unfortunately many don't go for this type of information it seems. Ernie

Last edited:
erniehatt said:
Very educational Malc, pity there is not more of it. But unfortunately many don't go for this type of information it seems. Ernie

Thanks Ernie
I am just one of those, that has to find out how things work.
I can sit and read a technical manual, but not a novel.
The last year at school (some 42ish years ago) I was allowed to skip history, to do a second practical subject instead.......... SAD :-O

I am sure I read somewhere that covering the AF assist lamp forces the F30 to default to setting focus to infinity.

Might this have some relevance in the use of macro mode for digiscoping?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back