• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does MEOPTA use Dielectric or Silver mirror on the prism? (1 Viewer)

The numbers have always been 411 feet for both the 7x42 and 8x42. I could see if it was something simple like incorrectly converting the meters to feet figures but I thought the two meters figures were the same as well.

I wonder how wide the 7x42s truly are then.

Frank... wider than the 8x... that's for sure. I think by at least 10 ft.

Exactly the FOV of the SLC's. Funny how that is!

Cheers

308 cal,

Nice of you to call the guy who helped you at Meopta a dimwit.
I know a couple people there and they do read this forum. And they appreciate
the critical eye the birders have for optics. I know they appreciate the feedback.

I think most good optics companies read this forum because it's way, way more technical and critical than the hunting optics forums.

Maybe just something to keep in mind.

Cheers

308 cal,

Nice of you to call the guy who helped you at Meopta a dimwit.
I know a couple people there and they do read this forum. And they appreciate
the critical eye the birders have for optics. I know they appreciate the feedback.

I think most good optics companies read this forum because it's way, way more technical and critical than the hunting optics forums.

Maybe just something to keep in mind.

Cheers
He didnt know the 7x had the same size FOV listed as the 8x. he left the phone went and talked to somebody i guess then came back and said well have an update on the webite Monday. I was like ok whats the update he was like uhh i dont know, i dont have it in front of me

I got you. Comparing both side by side the 7x looks like about 10 ft wider than the 8x.

I guess 420ft. Maybe I can measure it for you. I'd like to know myself.

Did you sell a pair of Swaro 7x recently? I think the Meopta are the same... except I like the ergonomics better.

Cheers

Converting from the European web site the numbers are.

7x = 411ft
8x = 402ft

375ft for the 8x is not correct. Not sure who gave you that number but is sounds like
a 10x FOV

Cheers

Converting from the European web site the numbers are.

7x = 411ft
8x = 402ft

375ft for the 8x is not correct. Not sure who gave you that number but is sounds like
a 10x FOV

Cheers

Whichever number you settle on, the APPARENT FoV of the 8x is larger by a few degrees and should be less tunnel-like than the 7x. For me that is a more important metric for judging a bino than the TRUE FoV.

cheers,
Rick

RJM,

Well... since I have both the 7x and 8x in my hands at the moment I can tell you neither is tunnel like. Apart from magnification I doubt you could tell one from the other. Numbers do tell a story... but not the whole story. Best to get behind a pair.

Cheers

Sorry, poor choice of words. Both are in the "normal" 50-60deg range. But if you have looked through a Nikon EII or Swift 8.5x44mm Audobon that 50-60deg will defintely feel clausterphobic afterwards.

Rick

Hi Rick,

I actually had a pair of EII's before I bought the Meopta 7x42's. I did love the wide view and it broke my heart to sell. But I wear eye glasses and I really had to push them into my face to see the whole FOV. I really tried to keep them!

But... the Meopta's are really wide. The flat field makes them seem even seem wider.

Cheers

So the 8x is actually 8 feet narrower than I have believed for the last 4 years?

The apparent field of view seems larger on that configuration of that model than on any other binocular I have owned....and I did own an 8x30 EII (the shorter eye relief did not make it as "walk in" as the Meopta.

Frank,

For me the 8x EII didn't even seem like an 8x as the field was so big. Seemed like a 6 or 7x.

For now it doesn't seem like anyone except the Czech secret service know the exact FOV numbers. I think something was lost in the translation.

Don't worry... I think you'll get your 8 ft back.

Cheers

No... I think Richard's a pretty busy guy and made a mistake on the 8x FOV. I did ask him and he said they will be updating the FOV numbers on the web soon.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back