• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED50 + 30x/38x/38x Compatible???? (1 Viewer)

ben_lewis

Hi I am looking to buy an ed50 and have an hour to make up my mind, is the 30x wide eyepiece compatible? I was hoping to get the 27x wide as I dislike zoom lenses, anyone experienced the ed 50 with a 30x eyepiece before, should I steer clear, need to know asap!

Many thanks for any responses!!

Hi I am looking to buy an ed50 and have an hour to make up my mind, is the 30x wide eyepiece compatible? I was hoping to get the 27x wide as I dislike zoom lenses, anyone experienced the ed 50 with a 30x eyepiece before, should I steer clear, need to know asap!

Many thanks for any responses!!

Surely that EP is 20x on the ED50? I'm pretty sure there isn't a wide angle ep that gives 30x mag on that scope.

I have the 27x and like it, but am sure I would like the 20x equally, if not more. It will be a bit brighter in low light, and of course give a wider FOV. Get it, you won't regret it, assuming the price is right.

Steve

thanks for the speedy reply Steve/n, its the 30x/38x/38x not the 20x which is why I'm not sure on the compatibility

Last edited:
thanks for the speedy reply Steven, its the 30x/38x/38x not the 20x which is why I'm not sure on the compatibility

Ben, the configuration you quoted is not possible! The 3 numbers represent the varying mags on 50mm, 60mm and 78/82mm scopes.

Therefore it has to be either 20x/30x/38x
or 27x/40x/50x

See Steve Astley's link for details of each EP on different sized scopes.

Steve

Ben, the configuration you quoted is not possible! The 3 numbers represent the varying mags on 50mm, 60mm and 78/82mm scopes.

Thanks, I thought it was odd, it was from the picture of the eyepiece box, still not sure why is says 30 38 38, as you say an impossible combo. thanks

Got it. Hope its as good a quality as he has told me in the emails. you never know with ?Bay. Fingers crossed for the next couple of days!

hi ben:

just a quick comment to add to the above thoughts- i have the nikon oculars mentioned above that render 20X and 27X on the nikon 50. after fairly extensive comparison, i much prefer the 27X. the slight loss (at least under the most typical conditions i use the scope in) in brightness of the 27-power compared to the 20X is more than made up for by the larger image scale of the 27.

i have never been able to get on w/ the zoom, it's very good in retrieval of fine detail, but is just too constricted in AFOV for my tastes, esp. in comparison to the fixed power eyepieces. they really are brilliant!

regards,
utc

Therefore it has to be either 20x/30x/38x
or 27x/40x/50x

Well, there are two other "30x" fieldscope eyepieces--the 16x/24x/30x DS and the 24x/30x MC. Though the latter is not recommended for use on the 50ED, it does function as 16x on it.

--AP

;)
Well, there are two other "30x" fieldscope eyepieces--the 16x/24x/30x DS and the 24x/30x MC. Though the latter is not recommended for use on the 50ED, it does function as 16x on it.

--AP

Yes, but neither give 30x on the ED50, that was my point.

Just to correct my 'impossible' statement above. I obviously overlooked the fact that Nikon used to make the 60mm, 78mm & 82mm scopes before they introduced the ED50. How careless of me;)

It sometimes seems that Nikon porposefully design their ranges to cause maximum confusion. Kowa are even worse!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back