• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sharpie Pen Strikes Again! (1 Viewer)

No.1 my first choice.....

Difficult to decide my second choice....but reckon No.4...[which has nothing to do whatsoever with my liking of waxwings]...;)

:t:

hi tim no 1and no 2 you will certainly nail it with these tim think both compliment each other shows the real life style of the puffin.especially the habitat depicted in
good luck tim
regards george

Two characters I'm working on with a view to a larger composition;

Attachments

• DSCN6349.JPG
    DSCN6349.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN6350.JPG
    DSCN6350.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 73
I have a lot of catching up to do after my recent trip...so hope I'm not too late to throw in my votes here. #4 is my favorite - such a nice capture of a typical sight with this species that I never tire of seeing. #2 is my second choice (1 and 3 are great as well) - I like the context here with a little more landscape in the background to set the scene, and the perspective of the flying one in the middle ground.

Do you have to be there in person??? Love them, as I said, and the new sketches are also great.
Do you mean at the exhibition, David? I doubt I'll be able to get there as I have a trip planned which will almost certainly clash with the exhibition. I think regarding purchasing works - I think there's an on-line catalogue of al selected pieces, but I'm not certain. Nick maybe able to answer that?

Whimsical? For me, all four submissions are superb pieces of work. I'll never be in a position where I would be able to 'judge' what is art and what isn't. All I know is that these really rock and float my boat infinitely more than, say, pics of birds' skeletons, even though I've huge admiration for the talent, technique and application that goes into drawing all those bones!

Eeeh, The Art Marquee at the Birdfair is calling already!

Russ

very interesting and challenging shapes to manage here.

some thoughts I have.

pointy shapes are going to point our eye, so directing that so the eye stays in the comp is a big consideration, don't point us out of the painting or away to unproductive areas, or bring high contrast to the tips. Every little increment of the angles of those forms can change how the eye flows.

my eye is connecting the lights right now that is working,

there are few lights in the bg, and all the bg forms are round, so there is something of a disconnect between the subjects and bg...the lights could help connect that and finding transitions of the round clumps and angular bird shapes

reflecting some of the green colors into the whites on the birds in a few places and some of the warm tones in the shadows might be considered to help integrate them into the environment.

A very exciting comp that only a top notch avian artist could even attempt...could stand on it's own as is, or you could try to take it higher. Turn it upside down, look in a mirror, put it on the side, do all the abstract shapes look good to you?

hope some of this helps if not just ignore it.

The first thing I notice, really, is how easy it is to criticize someone else's work. I can stare at mine for hours and not see what's wrong. But give me someone else's and I have an instant opinion!

For some reason my first reaction is that I wanted to make the shrub in upper left corner a little taller. I think this is because there is a bit of explosion of birds much of it directed outward. This may be similar to what Colleen is saying. The big arcs of the bodies and then the pointed wings all seem to create this dynamism that all heads out of the painting.

This is also part of what makes the painting exciting. I love the birds themselves. My guess is that something is needed to block some of the eye's movement out of the painting and keep it in. I think taking that shrub at upper left and making it taller and straighter might help to do that.

I have to say that my first reaction was all intutive. It was only after I started thinking about it that I came up with this rationale.

As usual take it with a huge grain of salt.

It's a very good painting as is. But I think finding some way to keep the eye in a bit more would make it even better.

. . . which is this. I'm also working on an oil version too. Hmmmmm - not sure about this one - constructive crits very welcome.

Just one thought. The lower bird sits very well in the frame due to the tail and both wings pointing towards a corner of the frame, it anchors the piece perfectly...
The upper bird rests on the left wing, the leading edge on the wing horizontal, therfore at odds with the angles the other is striking. Perhaps lowering the plane of the left wing so that it angles toward the lower right corner of the painting (and the lower bird) might help unite the composition a little. Something, perhaps a small adjustment of the placement of the rear bird? If you look at the plane of the picture the foreground skua occupies a lot more ground than the rear bird, its a perspective thing,..I might also have the back bird opening the bill or tilting the head upwards or downwards to give it just a little more zing...
It's already tremendous, a development of a favourite piece of fieldwork of mine by your good self and I look forward to seeing these pieces.

Last edited:
4 is a definite it seems, and though I'd put ALL of them in, if I had to choose, I think number 3, I love how the puffins fill the space and your eye goes everywhere, it's not (just) a scene, it's a whole colony with feeling (well they all are, but I think this one shows that best).

I'm not aware of any online catalogue at the SWLA - it would be a good idea for them to do though. NEWA does one, maybe you were thinking of that.

These skuas are all damned fine - such elegant birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back