• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Techniques with Leica set up (1 Viewer)

nevil lazarus

I am using a digilux 1 with the televid 77.
My interests are primarily bird observing with photos via digiscoping an enjoyable add on.
I am unclear on the general use of digiscoping -- does the accepted standard of connectivity mean that the camera is permanently attached to the scope during an outing? This would then render the scope a pure photographic lens?
It is my intention, and I am getting more used to it, of locating the bird via the scope, attaching the camera, and then shooting. This takes practice and is a tad frustrating, but I feel it can be mastered.
A remote cable would assist - anything available that would work on the digilux 1?
I am looking for a quick method of slipping the Leica cameral attached to the televid connector onto the scope - the factory method is a bit difficult in getting the connector onto the scope easily and quickly without moving the scope. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I'm not totally familiar with the Leica set-up with Digilux+ Leica adapter + APO77, though I tested it at last years Birdfair (and found it seriously flawed in comparison to the Nikon+ any scope).

That said, it's usual for the camera to be carried around in a pocket until a photo opportunity arises, attaching it should only take about 3 seconds with practise (and suitable adapter). Then you refocus the scope to achieve a sharp image on the camera's monitor.... panning the entire set-up to follow the bird if it's an active species, re-focus when needed.
More success, espescially with highly active birds is likely if you have the camera left attached to the scope during a trip... though that isn't ideal for a birding trip.

From my own personal experience, you really need to decide where your priorities lay before setting out.... the very best digiscoped images come from trips dedicated to digiscoping, but at the expense of genuine birding.
Regards,
Andy Bright

hi nevil,
i think you have a good scope for digiscoping but i have not heard any favorable comments on the digilux1 camera. an easy way to take some pix while birding is to make up a washer of about 5mm thickness with the outer diameter a good fit inside the upturned eyecup on your eyepiece. the inner diameter of this washer would be a good fit for the camera lense so as to hold it centered over the eyepiece lense. you could then handhold the camera to the scope and shoot away. i have some very acceptable shots using this set-up with a nikon coolpix cp4500 camera. email me for a pix of hand hold adapter if you need.
richard bledsoe [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back