• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Venturer LX Focus Wheel (1 Viewer)

dries1

I have a cuuple of LX venturers (8 &10X32s) I purchased this year used, and I do like like the glass, it gives me a flat view different from my porros.
Well, with both having a quick focus esp the 10X32, the focus wheel is a bit free, on both actually, so when the view is in focus, the wheel is not well dampened, staying in place, it will move with the slightest touch.
I have contacted Nikon and they were very cooperative on what to do to send them in, I found out the repair center in LA is quite busy, with repairs (hunting season and the holidays, so I will send them in March.

Well thanks to having an extra mint LX 8X32, I have a good example what a proper well dampened focus wheel is like.

I remember reading a post on this forum about the LX (research on the model from 2002) from a British gentleman who stated that he could not quite bring his view into focus (his focus wheel was loose not well dampened), he felt that he was always looking for that snap. Well he sent them in and they fixed it and he was very pleased with the new firm focus wheel and he finally got the snap he was looking for.

He stated that Nikon repaired the "helicoid" in the bino along with alignment, not sure if his bino was out of collimation in the first place, but they completed his repair much to his happiness.

Any idea of what is a helicoid ?

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back