• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mr Cheang's adaptor (1 Viewer)

P

peter hayes

Andy

I reproduce here a question and answer from the Yahoo! digiscoping forum. Any comments?

Peter

> Hi to all,
>
> first I like to say thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts, tips
and
> experiences. I am new on this and not a digiscoper yet. I own a Swarovski
> AT80HD and enjoy it very much.
> Since some time now, I am thinking in getting a camera connected to the
> scope to make nice shots of all the beauty you see out there.
> I never could get clear if using my Nikon F301 or getting a new digital
> camera for this. Does anyone as any experience with the Swarovski adapter
for the
> Nikon or you all thing it would be best buying a digital camera?
> It's a bit question about money, even if the adapter from Swarovski is not
> cheap, but cheaper than the CP4500 (I found this would be the best camera
for
> digiscoping) and an adapter to connect it to the scope. By the way how
much
> is the famous adapter from ?Mr.Cheang? (not sure if is written well) and
how
> you get it into Europe?
>
> I also like to know how fast you can connect the camera to the scope or
will
> the bird, mammal or what ever you taking pictures of, be gone until the
> camera is fixed to the scope. Some of you are talking about "hand held" -
does
> that mean you just put the camera instead of our eye to the eyepiece - and
this
> works .-?
>
> Any thoughts would be very welcome.
>
> Thanks Joerg
>
> PS.: Sorry for my basic English
>

Hi Joerg

Mr. Cheang's UDA adapter cost $215.00 US and that price includes air
shipment do your door. I have used this adapter a number of times with both
my CP 5000 and 4500 with my Swarovski scope. The cost also includes a custom
made mechanical shutter release for the CoolPix series.

If this is of interest you should contact him and tell him what camera
and scope combination you intend to use. His e-mail address is:

"Cheang Kum Seng"[email protected]

I have no financial or commercial interest with Cheang, but am a
satisfied customer.

......Leo......

Hi Peter,
Mr Cheang's equipment is very high quality and is ideally suited to those using zoom eyepieces as you can rotate the zoom with the camera attached to the scope.
I can't afford to buy more adapters..... especially as Mr Cheang's is a bit pricey with courier delivery, besides it's a pain getting money transferred to his account... be nice if he accepted credit cards!
Here are some pics of his gear.
Regards,
Andy

Attachments

• cheangbits.jpg
    cheangbits.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 780
Andy

You're a genius! Two questions: would you suggest this rather than an ordinary adapter (in my case from Swarovski 80HD to CoolPix 4500), and how do I get hold of it - given he doesn't accept credit cards - if I go down the Cheang route?

If you want the best.... this is probably the route to take.
The one problem would be that Mr Cheang may not have the dimensions of the eyepieces for the new Swarovski ATS80 scopes... and the new eyepieces have twist-up eyecups, this may not be a problem, but you'd be better off discussing it with him (you just posted his e-mail address).

Also investigate payment details and how long you'll have to wait (4-6 weeks at least).

As you can see from the pics he makes a few bits.... sighting device, cable-release bracket and balance bar.....though you'll need to ascertain whether they'll fit the new Swaro' scope.

When you break down the prices of the individual components they're not that expensive.

The adapter is slightly different to most in that much of it stays permanently attached to your eyepiece, another small bit stays attached to your camera lens.... the two marry-up rapidly. Some day all adapter will be made this way (Nikon's own adapters are like this).
Regards,
Andy

Than you very much Andy for that typically precise and knowledgable response.

Very grateful indeed.

Peter

homemade adapter

I have only just picked up on this thread.
I have made an excellent adapter for less than £2 based on the ideas of Ooi Bean Yang , a contributor to Birds-pix forum. I have acknowledged his design on my website where you can find details of how it is made along with photos of the set-up. Since the web site was constructed I have now developed a device for sighting the scope whilst it is attached to the camera. This involved a screw and a drainpipe clamp!!!
If anyone is interested they can contact me. My website address is http://members.lycos.co.uk/pelecanus.
Hope this gives hope to those who don't want to spend too much of their hard earned money!
John.

Following on from my previous message, I have now put details of my focusing and rangefinder device on my website.
John

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back